Mysterious Front End Grinding/Grunting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mysterious Front End Grinding/Grunting

foxtemple

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer
Everything my car has been sitting for more then 5 and I accelerate again, there is this grinding/grunting sound that sounds like it is coming from the front passenger wheel well area. My dealer and I thought it was the "squeaky brake TSB" and had that TSB performed. The grind/grunt is still here! While my car was at the shop getting the TSB performed, I told the dealer that this rubber cap above where the strut goes [I think] on the passenger side keeps coming loose. They "fastened" aka super glued it in place. I just checked under the hood again and noticed that it seems like it has been pushed up significantly even though it was glued. Could this have something to do with the grinding? Maybe a bad strut or strut boot? Any ideas are greatly appreciated!! I have attached pics of the aforementioned rubber thing.

(dead link)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would bet on a bad strut bushing, it is moving up and pushing the rubber piece out of it's way,

and why the heck would they glue it in instead of finding out why it keeps getting pushed up,, ??

is there another dealer close ? cause i would be done at that one after that ,,

i would bet on a bad strut bushing, it is moving up and pushing the rubber piece out of it's way,

Thanks for the reply corky. I don't think he dealer knew that something was pushing it up. I personally thought that it just pooping off from going over bumps and normal driving. Now that they glued it and it is still popping up I am suspecting that it is getting pushed. I'll definitely have them check out the strut bushing.

Does anyone happen to know whether a damaged/broken strut bushing would be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty? I haven't been in any accidents and there is no damage to my car. Just trying to be as well prepared as I can for the dealer.

As long as there's no evidence of tampering or maybe hitting a giant pothole I would say you could argue it to be covered by the warranty. Just show them that you aren't an negligent driver and you drive attentively, you should be good.

Just got my car back from the dealership. They said that it was air pressure causing the dust cap to come off. they said they replaced my dust cap with an updated one with holes in it. Does this sound legit?

what about the grunting?

what about the grunting?

The grunting is still there. It sounds like its coming from the passenger front wheel well area. It happens when I am driving slow and the weight of the car shifts from one side to the other.

The grunting is still there. It sounds like its coming from the passenger front wheel well area. It happens when I am driving slow and the weight of the car shifts from one side to the other.

Hi foxtemple,

I want to assist by getting this escalated to your region's customer service manager. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get your information into the hands of your CSM and ensure that they contact you soon.

Thanks!
Crystal

Back