• Register Today It's free!

Mysterious unlocking

kenmklein

Reaction score
City, State
Wheaton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
About once a month I find my 2020 Explorer Platinum unlocked in my driveway when I go out to get the morning paper. I check nearly every night that the doors are locked by looking for the folded mirrors -- locked at night and unlocked about once a month in the morning. We are careful with the fobs, but I think I'll stop carrying it with me and leave in on the counter at home. Does anyone have thoughts, comments or suggestions? I've never had this issue with any other vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the phantom turning on my headlights several times last year when it was parked in automatic mode. This vehicle is full of intermittent electronic gremlins. Now my backup camera goes blue intermittently on a pretty regular basis. The newest thing is it brakes and steers unnecessarily when there is nothing in the path or no collision imminent.

Sounds like the phantom turning on my headlights several times last year when it was parked in automatic mode. This vehicle is full of intermittent electronic gremlins. Now my backup camera goes blue intermittently on a pretty regular basis. The newest thing is it brakes and steers unnecessarily when there is nothing in the path or no collision imminent.
There is a recall for the backup camera. Mine needs to go in for it.

There is a recall for the backup camera. Mine needs to go in for it.
Yes heard about that but haven't received a notice yet.

Yes heard about that but haven't received a notice yet.
Have you checked your Ford account to see if the recall is mentioned there?

Peter

Okay then let's try two other mysteries. First, twice on the day after a USB drive update for the new maps and an OTA update for SYNC, I'd start getting messages like "Hill hold brake is not functioning," "Four wheel drive system is inoperative, " Pre-collision assist not available," "Intelligent cruise control inoperative," etc. I could reset everything by stopping, turning off the ignition, then restarting -- the old reboot trick. The dealer said there are no error codes in the system to be read, so they couldn't do anything. Second, occasionally in rain I get notices that the adaptive cruise control and pre-collision assist systems are not available because an obstruction might be blocking the sensor. After stopping and checking the sensor area and finding nothing to obstruct the sensor I simply waited for the rain to stop. I doubt these occurrences are normal and acceptable. Has anyone else experienced these issues?

Okay then let's try two other mysteries. First, twice on the day after a USB drive update for the new maps and an OTA update for SYNC, I'd start getting messages like "Hill hold brake is not functioning," "Four wheel drive system is inoperative, " Pre-collision assist not available," "Intelligent cruise control inoperative," etc. I could reset everything by stopping, turning off the ignition, then restarting -- the old reboot trick. The dealer said there are no error codes in the system to be read, so they couldn't do anything. Second, occasionally in rain I get notices that the adaptive cruise control and pre-collision assist systems are not available because an obstruction might be blocking the sensor. After stopping and checking the sensor area and finding nothing to obstruct the sensor I simply waited for the rain to stop. I doubt these occurrences are normal and acceptable. Has anyone else experienced these issues?
I was getting error messages about pre-collision warnings and a couple of other things not working. The dealer did a software update and it solved the problem.

The first one happened to me once many months ago and never again. The rain affecting the intelligent cruise and pre-collision is normal because the camera can't see in heavy rain, fog or snow.

Perhaps this sounds stupid, but are you certain that you didn't somehow press a button on the fob when it was in your pocket? I know I have set my alarm off a few times that way.

Perhaps this sounds stupid, but are you certain that you didn't somehow press a button on the fob when it was in your pocket? I know I have set my alarm off a few times that way.
Not stupid at all. It happens.

Peter

I have thought of this possibility and quit carrying my fob for a month or so just to see if the problem goes away.

About once a month I find my 2020 Explorer Platinum unlocked in my driveway when I go out to get the morning paper. I check nearly every night that the doors are locked by looking for the folded mirrors -- locked at night and unlocked about once a month in the morning. We are careful with the fobs, but I think I'll stop carrying it with me and leave in on the counter at home. Does anyone have thoughts, comments or suggestions? I've never had this issue with any other vehicle.
I had a different car/brand and had the same issue. Sometimes in the middle of the night it will suddenly activate the alarm. When driving, the locks will go on/off. Really weird. I found thaty was an electical problwm. Take it to check it, as it is draining your battery.

Just traded for a used 2018 Explorer. Though I lock it on the door panel when I get out, it unlocks and honks. I can relock it with the key fob. After dealing with the irritation, finally looked at the manual. There's a setting for locking. You can chose on the door, with the fob or both. Now... If I can figure out how to reset to the correct date. Still stuck in 2020.

Just traded for a used 2018 Explorer. Though I lock it on the door panel when I get out, it unlocks and honks. I can relock it with the key fob. After dealing with the irritation, finally looked at the manual. There's a setting for locking. You can chose on the door, with the fob or both. Now... If I can figure out how to reset to the correct date. Still stuck in 2020.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Usually, when the door unlocks when you close it, it is an indication that the vehicle has detected a key inside the cabin. Did you receive 2 keys when you bought it?
Did you follow this instruction in trying to set the clock?
Clock: Press to access the clock
setting. Use the center arrow
controls to change the hours and
minutes. You can also set the
clock by pressing MENU and
scrolling to Clock Settings. If not
in phone mode, press to display
the clock.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Usually, when the door unlocks when you close it, it is an indication that the vehicle has detected a key inside the cabin. Did you receive 2 keys when you bought it?
Did you follow this instruction in trying to set the clock?
Clock: Press to access the clock
setting. Use the center arrow
controls to change the hours and
minutes. You can also set the
clock by pressing MENU and
scrolling to Clock Settings. If not
in phone mode, press to display
the clock.

Peter
Yes. I keep 1/2 keys in the car in a lanyard. That 1 I use when walking. However, I've had the unlocking happen when no key was left in the car, too.

You can lock a key inside the vehicle by using the Securicode keypad. Try using it to lock the doors and see if they still unlock ocassionally.
Did you get the clock issue resolved?
Also. I have sent a couple of PM's about updating your profile.

Peter

Have you checked your Ford account to see if the recall is mentioned there?

Peter

I just did, and I just received our first recall notice. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back