• Register Today It's free!

Mysterious Vacuum Cluster?

4.0Rerolpxe

Reaction score
City, State
Starkville, Ms
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Limited 4x4
The vacuum cluster on the drivers side of my '93 X right up against the firewall on the rear of the engine; It has two for lack of knowledge i'll call them sockets where you can attach vacuum lines. But two of them do not have lines attached, when i bought the explorer it had bolts stuck in them, and occasionally when you go to start the truck, it fails to start and shoots one of the bolts out. One of the sockets puts out what seems to be trans fluid. Not sure if its a problem.

That is the Vacuum Tree.

It is located on the Upper Intake. Your Brake Booster should be connected to the largest tube in that tree.

You need to get some Caps on there, they are in the 'HELP!' section of your Auto Parts store. You may need to zip-tie them in place.

Failing to do so will lead to poor mileage and performance...

Ryan

Having 2 or 3 capped off is normal.. Getting trans fluid out of them is bad.. that means the transmission modulator is bad and is leaking fluid. When it does fluid comes up to the vacuum tree which can make the lines soft and they will then pop off..

There are threads on here about changing the modulator valve...

~Mark

LOL

When mine "fails to start" it blows the cruise control vacuum line off the tree. guess i need to replace that line one of these days thoo.

Back