• Register Today It's free!

mysterious wire harness

jbl0072k2

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 SOHC XLT
i've got a '99 SOHC XLT 2wd.....the other day i had to replace my headlight switch. U all know the drill...i removed that whole panel that surrounds my stereo....then the panel thats under my steering wheel at the knee (with the hood latch and all)...then proceded to remove the dash panel that surrounds my instrument cluster (above my steering wheel). It is that panel (instrument cluster panel) that i was disconnecting those wire harnesses to my headlight switch when i found a wire harness that is CONNECTED TO NOTHING.
Its strange to me cause ive never been there before. Its just a wire and harness that is simply clipped to that panel...connects to nothing.

WTF would it possibly connect to? is it there for maybe a trailer braking system plug-in? My cigarette lighter is really close by to this harness.
All i can think of is that it'd be for a trailer braking system. Or was it there for a four-wheel drive option?? (mines 2wd).

Any thoughts from y'all?? What the hell is it there for?! its driving me nuts...and when i find out what its for...im probably gonna want it!

Thanks all!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get a pic of it. Could be something for 4x4 or another trim package that wasnt on urs. Pretty much the harness is the same throughout the years.

I think he's talking about the single wire that is clipped to the right side of the gauge surround bezel. No idea what it is for myself, but I've always wondered...

The owners manual shows where all the switches and such is. Would be easier if you had a pic and or reference to show where it is kinda suppose to be. I know the fog lights and rear wiper is on the right of the radio controls but by what you are saying it is on the left closer to the instrument bezel. 4wd control is over there right above the cig lighter

I believe thats for 4wd. But if everything works right, your ok. Just some free wires.:D

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I believe the wire harness he is talking about is shown in the dash removal thread.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46290&highlight=indiglo+install

The picture of the wire harness is listed above the following description.

"Directly behind the right side of the dash panel there is a plug to disconnect."

I had to replace my lights last night and I was wondering the same thing. So I did some reading and from another post, it looks like it is for the Disable Switch for the optional Reverse Sensing System (RSS).

Back