• Register Today It's free!

Mystery 99

Patrick davis

Reaction score
City, State
New Prt Rchy
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 explorer xlt
hey, just signed up. Used info from site to replace timing chains and guides/gears, all Genuine Ford products, so thanks a bunch already!

I got over 1000 miles and 3-4 weeks out of timing chain repair. then leaving work one night it was making an intermittent metallic clink sound at idle. Drove down the road no problem, a few miles later I slowed to come to a red light and the engine started shaking and loosing power, then died. I was able to start it again but quickly died again like out of gas. Pushed it off the road and had it towed 25miles to home. Scanner was showing cam shaft position code so I bought new cam and crank sensors but no change-wont start. I removed oil filler cap and guess what? No timing chain on left cam gear!!! Cam gear is still on the end of the cam but no chain. I haven't pulled valve covers or timing cover yet but wondering what could have happened?
1-Timing chain broke?
2-jack shaft bolt broke and dropped gear and chain?
3-somehow put either gears on backwards and not aligned? (wouldn't it have made noise), and chain walked off the gear?
4-??????
didn't drive it hard, babied it really. A couple times I revved up to 4500 rpm and nothing broke
I love the way this X ran and drove. I bought it for $450 knowing chains needed replaced-has new Michelin tires even! 172k miles. Also, this X is rather peppy,got 16.8 combined mpg, idle was not smooth, wondering while I have it apart-AGAIN, if I should pull the heads for a valve job? Cam?

So, taking bets to what happened to timing chain. Hoping the right side is ok still-don't feel like pulling motor again! thanks Patrick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when ever i have bought a explorer/ranger/sport trac that has a timming chain issue, i have just pulled the motor and replaced it with a motor that is good. to me and others my argue this, it is quicker, and cheaper to get a motor with lower miles. besides, if you have to change the rear chain you either have to pull the motor, or trans anyway

I did have to change the right side chain/gear, guides. pulled the motor but left it hovering above engine bay to do timing work. I have about 1200 invested in parts already. I will try and tear it down next week to ascertain the problem. Just wondering what others think might have gone wrong with the first timing change? I will say I had some difficulty with the Harbor freight 1/2" ratcheting torque wrench and may have over or under tightened the jack shaft pully bolt? I found out the wrench was bad when I broke the new bolt on the right cam gear! Lucky it was left hand thread so standard drill able to back the bolt out!

Subscribed

surprised no speculators as to what is wrong/what happened to loose chain on drivers side? Completely off cam gear, why?

The jackshaft bolts have been known to break.

vroomzoomboom's suggestion is not a long term solution, you are just rolling the dice on that "new" engine. Unless you have serious damage to the lower end, there is really no reason to replace the engine.

When I install a used engine I know the used engine is good before I install it, either it came from a reputable wrecker and has a warranty or I drove/ran the donor before I pull the engine and use it.

I think what he is getting at is that fixing all the timing components on the SOHC engine can also be a crap shoot..... and when things go wrong it ends up costing more and taking more time and labor then just swapping to a known good later model sohc with fewer miles.....I see both sides of this coin, have done both fix the timing and swapped the whole dang engine. Pick your battles!!
There are ALOT of sohc engines out there plenty of used ones available, and the later models have some good updates, we have been seeing 250-350K miles regularly from the 02-04+ models from vehicles with just average maintenance

Sucks if the jackshaft bolt broke?, dang! 1000 miles! Dang.... let us know what you find out.

410Fortune, it was mentioned the jack shaft bolts have been known to break. Not the shaft itself? Right? I will let you experts know when I get it apart. Will take a few weeks to get started back on it. I busted butt on it before, just need to foster up some ambition to get back in to it. I did like the way it ran/drove while it was running!

You did it once, you can do it again!!
I know how it feels to try and get the gusto again to tackle the project a second time.
I once did head gaskets on a V8
The head gasket job failed and the engine was mixing oil and water
So I installed another set of head gaskets and a different set of heads.
Did not work was still mixing oil with water
So I swapped the engine with a known good one
Then 1 block from the shop on the test run the transmission lost all forward gears.
I then took that truck apart and crushed it
She will forever be known as "the Eddie"
Win some lose some but we Persevere!!!

Back