• Register Today It's free!

Efebert

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
Hi folk,

Looking for a little help tracking down a coolant leak on my 1998 ford explorer 4.0L. The coolant system seems straight forward on the car but just can't track it down. It seems that the leak is coming from somewhere in the area of the starter maybe just above the drivers side engine mount. Ran the engine for about thirty minutes in park and that is the only area that has any dripping coolant. Checked hoses and around the thermostat. Change oil and no coolant in the oil. The car seems to run fine and have no reason to believe that I have a cracked head. Any idea of where the leak may be originating from would be a big help. Many thanks in advance!!! -Erik

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Either a leaking head gasket, allowing coolant to escape between head and block, or freeze plug.

Rent (or buy) a pressure tester. Leaking coolant likes to take a strange path, and the place where you see it is not necessarily anywhere near it leaks from.

Not what I wanted to hear but thought that it maybe the head gasket. I'm not familiar with "freeze plugs" but will do some research and get informed.

Will definitely get a pressure test system and see if I can see the leak from other location. Ford forum rocking the knowledge once again, that's all. -Erik

Hi folk,

Looking for a little help tracking down a coolant leak on my 1998 ford explorer 4.0L. The coolant system seems straight forward on the car but just can't track it down. It seems that the leak is coming from somewhere in the area of the starter maybe just above the drivers side engine mount. Ran the engine for about thirty minutes in park and that is the only area that has any dripping coolant. Checked hoses and around the thermostat. Change oil and no coolant in the oil. The car seems to run fine and have no reason to believe that I have a cracked head. Any idea of where the leak may be originating from would be a big help. Many thanks in advance!!! -Erik

The leak in my 96 Explorer 4.0L OHV was caused by a leaking lower intake manifold gasket. Very elusive, because the leak was small and the coolant would "boil off" as it leaked. Never a drop anywhere. We changed that gasket, fuel rail gasket and the upper (plastic) intake manifold O-Rings/Gaskets.

Coolant leak

I agree. Lower intake gasket most likely. Read my post titled "Hard to trace coolant leak".

Either a leaking head gasket, allowing coolant to escape between head and block, or freeze plug.
Hello
I have 2003 ford explorer just put a motor in
I have water leak above tranny bell housing.
There are no freeze plugs there.
I believe it's coming from a bolt hole that was left open or missing bolt and or a bolt not tightened down.
Have you found out why your was leaking.
Can it leak from a bolt hole in the head?

Hello
I have 2003 ford explorer just put a motor in
I have water leak above tranny bell housing.
There are no freeze plugs there.
I believe it's coming from a bolt hole that was left open or missing bolt and or a bolt not tightened down.
Have you found out why your was leaking.
Can it leak from a bolt hole in the head?
welcome! one way to trace is is to use a coolant dye ao you can see where its coming from more easily. as fsr as your leak, i am not sure.

Back