• Register Today It's free!

Mystery sensor 4x4 ???

Currency

Reaction score
City, State
Bedford Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4x4
1994 XLT, A4LD Trans, 4.0 V6. 183,x.. miles.

Trying to find the name of a Mystery sensor that plugs into a vacuum line under the intake manifold. It runs from a little black box with two round plugs on top.

In order to gain access the throttle cables have to be removed. It sitting behind it and no one has a clue what its called and auto zone, Advance auto and NAPA cannot order it. It has something to do with a vacuum line running up from the transfer case. My vacuum line is leaking under the intake and I need to replace it and that sensor in hopes it may help my 4x4 system.

My haynes manual does not have it listed anywhere.

Anyone know the name of that sensor?

Thanks for the help, I'm hoping to have it and a few other things fixed soon. but I've had to put off due to excessive rain here in the midwest.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A pic would help, but..

A block box with 2 round holes on it sounds like the charcol canister (evap system).

There is one line from that box to your gas tank and the other line run into a valve that opens at cruise to let the gas fumes get sucked into the bottom of the throttle body..

~Mark

That may be it but I'm not sure. I will steal my brothers cell phone later and email myself some pictures to post on here. It may be late tonight or sometime tomorrow before he comes back home but I'll try. :)

There isnt any vacuum lines running to the transfer case.

There is a vacuum line that runs to the trans but it will not effect the function of the 4x4 system.

Get the pics and we will be able to tell you what you need.

Sounds an awful lot like the canister purge (CANP) solenoid. It's right under the throttle body towards the front of the intake, right?

Sounds an awful lot like the canister purge (CANP) solenoid. It's right under the throttle body towards the front of the intake, right?

That sounds like it. I was told it was for the 4x4 system but have no clue really. I just know my check engine light is on and that vacuum line under the intake is leaking where that sensor plugs into it at. I will try to get pictures of it sometime tomorrow if its not raining to bad. It's kinda hard to see and looks even harder to get to.

I seen a post about jumping connectors to get the check engine light to flash showing codes but it sounds a little complicated to me.

I don't think it has anything to do with the 4x4 system at all. it's smog equipment, if it is the canister purge valve, it has vac line going to it, wires, and then i think another line to the charcoal box thing or whatever it is... the black box thing.

what is the problem you're having with the 4x4?

The 4wd issue I have sounds like the t/c shift motor. But someone said that vacuum line and sensor may be causing my problems. I think it's the shift motor from what I've read here but they said they replaced the sensor on another explorer and it fixed their 4wd problem which sounds similar to my problem.

I'll see about getting pictures tomorrow because I was never to sure it had anything to do with the 4x4 system. My control module is good, so my 4x4 issue is either my switch or t/c shift motor which I believe its the shift motor. I won't worry about that until it's closer to winter and snow starts falling. I'll sweet talk one of my buddies into letting use his garage and lift :)

that way I won't have to lay down to change it out, Just stand up :p:

The sensor can really only be seen from the passenger side or from standing in front of my explorer. otherwise it's a little hard to get a clear view of it.

I seen a post about jumping connectors to get the check engine light to flash showing codes but it sounds a little complicated to me.
Have you actually tried it yet? I know the first few times I read through the procedure, I thought it sounded a little complicated. Once I started to actually do it, though, I discovered that it really isn't very difficult. A lot of it didn't make sense until I was actually under that hood doing.

Purge solenoid has nothing to do with the transfer case. If you are smelling gas inside and under the hood of your vehicle occasionally it could be a bad purge solenoid.

Have you actually tried it yet? I know the first few times I read through the procedure, I thought it sounded a little complicated. Once I started to actually do it, though, I discovered that it really isn't very difficult. A lot of it didn't make sense until I was actually under that hood doing.

Sorry been busy, I tried to post a reply last night but my cable modem has been disconnecting on its own. So I have to return it to comcast in the morning for a replacement.

I've not tried it yet, Have thought about it because that 'check engine' light bugs me to death. But part of me doesn't want to check it because it will result in my having to spend more money I really don't have to fix something else that needs fixed.

Another problem is people keep telling me I can borrow their digital camera's but never come through for me :(
Going to borrow my grand mothers tomorrow hopefully.

Still have to get those pictures and check into the check engine light issue.

But I really have to change out my passenger side radius arm bracket soon. It's been getting worse to the fact that my alignment is messed up now. My front passenger side tire is wearing more so then it should on the outside and you can see that it's a little off on the alignment. With the wheel straight that tire is pointing more outward maybe an inch if not more. Maybe I can get to that sometime this week but first I have to get the money to fix it.

Found a sales ticket for new shocks from auto zone dated 09 1997, It said 88 ranger but I believe that's how old my shocks are. It rides rough so that is another thing that needs fixed asap.

1) RA bracket
2) Mystery sensor or new vacuum line
3) T/C shift motor
4) New shocks

Somewhere in between I'll check that check engine light and fix that, I'm sure it's just some sensor that went out. I believe it may have something to do with my rough idle at start up. My explorer's normal idle while in park is about 1,100 rpm's. But some time's it drops to 500 and act's like it's missing or not getting enough fuel or something so maybe something to do with my MAS? I don't know.

The wrench time doesn't bother me, I actually enjoy doing it. It's just my very, very limited income. Some weeks I may make in a day what some make in a week, Other weeks I'll make what a normal person earns in a day. *sigh*

Will have pictures tomorrow if it kills me. :)

I got my son a bit early today and a friend is dropping her camera off tomorrow. I plan on flushing my radiator and making a trip to a buddies to grab some parts I may need. While I am in the general area I will head further north to a nice gravel road with some soybean and corn fields located near by. Then I'll have my explorer pose for some pictures. They would look better towards sun set but I don't know how well they would come out. It's that or bury it in a mud hole but my 4x4 is awal so that wouldn't be much fun lol

Will post pictures of the sensor tomorrow. Doctor my signature with a link to more pictures of my ex.

Ok, pictures as promised. Sorry it took so long to get them.

100_0813.jpg

A shot of the vacuum line running under the intake. That ones a little hard to see also.

100_0812.jpg

The black box with the two round plugs on top of it.

100_0811.jpg

That picture shows the vacuum line with the sensor plugged into it. It's a little hard to see without pulling the intake off.

I did the best I could while taking these pictures, They are a high resolution so if they do not show here I'll include the link to my photobucket album and upload more pictures of my explorer posing in the countryside of Bedford, Indiana, and Guthrie, Indiana. Photo lowered them to 800x600 so they should show. I'll play with it if they don't. Let me know what you guys think. :)

Also thanks for the help so far.

link to my albums on Photo bucket.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v372/jerry542/1994 Ford explorer/

^^^ That is the charcoal canister which is part of the evap./emission equipment and has nothing to do with the 4x4..

I'm not sure what the other 2 pics are trying to point out..

~Mark

^^^ That is the charcoal canister which is part of the evap./emission equipment and has nothing to do with the 4x4..

I'm not sure what the other 2 pics are trying to point out..

~Mark

The vacuum line from it runs under the intake and has a plug on it. It's hard to see under the intake behind the throttle cables. My guess is to pull the intake after unhooking the throttle cables to gain access to it. Mine is leaking where that piece plugs into it. That one picture shows the plug but it was impossible to get the plug and vacuum line in the shot. I'm just trying to find out a name for it in case it needs replaced.

Thanks for the help. I'll check my haynes manual for evap equipment and go from there. :)

Back