n00b here with a n00b GEM question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

n00b here with a n00b GEM question

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer
And so, I just recently obtained a 1995 Explorer 4wd. All leather 4.0 v6 blah blah. So, basically I have a few problems and the previous owner had done some "modifications" and I've been cleaning up the mess.

So, problem number
1. So he had the wire that controlled the interior lights cut and ran to a toggle switch. So when the toggle was off, no interior lights and no wipers or speedometer. It all worked when it was on. So, I fixed the wire and everything works normal now. Except the speedometer is 10 mph off. It says I'm going 10 faster than what I really am.

The only reason for this mod that I can think of is that he didn't want the lights to come on when the door was open in a dark place to bring attention (drug dealer?) But as I said the wire is fixed but speedo is off by 10 mph.

2. No power windows and the 4wd lights are flashing. From what I've read, sure signs of t a bad GEM.

The only thing that sways me from the GEM issue is that the blower motor works and I think that is also on the GEM. So 2 out of 3. Maybe It just needs
"refreshed"? I've never dealt with Explorers at all. So, I'm at a total loss right now. I really just want the windows to work. So, any input would be great.

p.s. I did search quite extensively. I've checked ALL fuses and wires. All good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my 2001 2wd XLT's speedo was also off by 10 MPH, but it was a "Frankenstruck" so i always figured it was mismatched parts.

you can check your power accessory relay look above your gas pedal and there is a relay box up there pop it open its the biggest relay in there my windows and sunroof stopped working one night and i would get 4wd lights flashing randomly pulled the relay it was extremly hot let it cool stuck it back in got my windows up shot down to the local part store the next day replaced it havent had a problem since worth a shot

Intermittent 4x4 System, Power Windows, Rear Wipers
Article No.
98-13-19
07/06/98
^ ELECTRICAL - LOSS OF 4X4 SYSTEM
^ LAMP - 4X4 LAMP ILLUMINATED
^ LAMP - NO INTERIOR LIGHTING
^ MOON ROOF - INTERMITTENT OR LOSS OF POWER
^ REAR WIPER - INTERMITTENT OR LOSS OF POWER
^ WINDOWS - INTERMITTENT OR LOSS OF POWER
LIGHT TRUCK:
1997-98 EXPLORER, MOUNTAINEER
This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to correct the Service Procedure Steps.
ISSUE
A flashing 4X4 lamp and/or a intermittent or loss of:
^ Power windows
^ Interior lights
^ Rear wiper (if equipped)
^ Moon roof (if equipped)
^ 4x4 system (if equipped)
may occur on some vehicles. This may be caused by an intermittent Battery Saver, Accessory Delay or One-Touch-Down Relay operation and possible chafing of vehicle wire harness.
ACTION
Repair the affected circuit, and/or replace the Battery Saver, Accessory Delay, or One-Touch-Down Relay. Refer to the Diagnostic/Service Procedure for details before replacing any components.

It's not unusual for a speedo to indicate faster than you're going, most do to some extent.
Some are worse than others like my Mondeo.

Are your tyres shorter than standard?

Intermittent 4x4 System, Power Windows, Rear Wipers
Article No.
98-13-19
07/06/98
^ ELECTRICAL - LOSS OF 4X4 SYSTEM
^ LAMP - 4X4 LAMP ILLUMINATED
^ LAMP - NO INTERIOR LIGHTING
^ MOON ROOF - INTERMITTENT OR LOSS OF POWER
^ REAR WIPER - INTERMITTENT OR LOSS OF POWER
^ WINDOWS - INTERMITTENT OR LOSS OF POWER
LIGHT TRUCK:
1997-98 EXPLORER, MOUNTAINEER
This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to correct the Service Procedure Steps.
ISSUE
A flashing 4X4 lamp and/or a intermittent or loss of:
^ Power windows
^ Interior lights
^ Rear wiper (if equipped)
^ Moon roof (if equipped)
^ 4x4 system (if equipped)
may occur on some vehicles. This may be caused by an intermittent Battery Saver, Accessory Delay or One-Touch-Down Relay operation and possible chafing of vehicle wire harness.
ACTION
Repair the affected circuit, and/or replace the Battery Saver, Accessory Delay, or One-Touch-Down Relay. Refer to the Diagnostic/Service Procedure for details before replacing any components.
Awesome. I will try this as soon as I get a chance. It's obvious which one is for the windows, but in case that it is the battery saver, or accessory delay, which ones are they? It looks like there are 7. 6 smaller ones and 1 large one. I haven't found a diagram that looks exactly like mine yet. And I don't have a service manual yet.

edit

Unless this is it

2s7xfv8.jpg

This looks a lot more like mine

2vd1r80.jpg

However, the big one says accessory delay and not power window, but when I unplugged it and plugged it back in the windows worked for a bit. So, thank you very much because that seems to be the problem.

I wonder why so many people jump to the GEM conclusion. The amount of bad GEM post lead me to think the same thing which is why I made this post.

Back