There is some jumping around here, but I'm doing the Superior Mods to the CVB.
I want to make sure I'm not defeating any existing mods, so anyone that is looking to have "all the Bling" for the valvebody, here goes: (will update as I go along - don't take it as final until the CVB is reinstalled)
- cleaned and flat sanded and tested.
FORD TSB Overpressure fix
(EPC 6 port valve with dimple, EPC Riser and spring removed)
(as per Instructions
) - "Installed" by CVB.
- Pressure Regulator Sleeve Kit 37947-05K: Delayed engagements due to poor converter fill
- TCC Modulator Valve Sleeve Kit 37947-07K: No TCC apply, code 1741, erratic TCC, converter overheat
- TCC Regulator Sleeve Kit 37947-09K
: Converter apply issues
- EPC & Engagement Control Kit 37947-11K: Poor shift quality, delayed forward or no reverse, 2nd gear starts, Flare on 2-3, 3-4 (5R), Repeated code 0741 TCC slippage
- End Plug Kit 37947-13K
: Loss of 4th gear, No 3rd gear, hot, erratic shifting.
- Oversized Coast Clutch Valve Kit 37947-33K: No 2nd or 5th gear (5R)
- Boost Valve & Sleeve Kit (Increased Ratio) 37947-03K
: High or low line pressure, low cooler flow at idle, overheat conditions.
- Red "Covered" (Reason)
, Black "*" possible.
- Outer pressure regulator spring
(Covered issue in Sonnax kit -03K and -05K)
- Forward engagement control valve spring
(White) (Covered issue in Sonnax kit -11K, different method, better overall engagement control)
- FORD EPC limit spool
and Ford spring - HD Mod (Covered issue in Sonnax kit -11K)
- Coast clutch retaining plug
(Removed part in Sonnax kit -09K)
* "Thermo blocker"
Thermostat Bypass (Covered issue in Sonnax kit -01K, different method, increase flow at idle rather than bypass)
- Drill separator plate
(.062" and .086") (Covered issue in FORD TSB Overpressure fix)
- EPC pressure riser (electrical)
(Covered issue differently in Sonnax kit -11K and -01K, reduced leaks in -13K)
- Servo return spring (Must remove intermediate servo) - Not sure about this one.
* Double lip reverse servo seal
(Covered issue in Sonnax kit -11K, different method)
- Direct clutch drum springs (20) (Must disassemble trans) - Not sure about this one either.
OK, based on these results, IF ALL THE SONNAX MODS ARE DONE
, I think I'll be putting the complete Superior 5R55E kit up for sale (local trans shop, "All sales final"). I'll be making a "Thermo blocker" out of a Russian AK-47 Gas Piston (no, really...) if I decide I need to do the "Full-Flow" filtering and external T-Stat. But, if you just want to patch it up, and get it out the door, the price is right for the Superior kit.
Based on this diagram
from Sonnax, it appears that there is always
flow to the cooler, just MORE when the Thermostat bypass opens at 150*f of Torque Convertor output fluid temp.
It's looking more and more like I'm going to leave the thermostat as is, and run the line from the trans to the filter, radiator, then the external cooler.