• Register Today It's free!

nail in tire - warranty in Canada

hpad06

Reaction score
City, State
Vaughan, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Base FWD
My 2011 Explorer, with 15K KM. I am in Toronto.

Just found out there is a nail in the left rear tire, I am wondering if it is covered by warranty. If no, should I go to dealership or Canadian tire to repair it ?

What's the best method to repair it, is it patch or plug ? How much should it cost?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless you purchased a road hazard warranty for the tires, why would it be covered under a warranty?

Plug and patch it. Should cost about $20-30. If it's in the sidewall, the tire is shot, just replace it.

no.. just get it fixed.. The warranty probably only covers, tread seperation, out of balance, etc but not roadside damage/debris.

My 2011 Explorer, with 15K KM. I am in Toronto.

Just found out there is a nail in the left rear tire, I am wondering if it is covered by warranty. If no, should I go to dealership or Canadian tire to repair it ?

What's the best method to repair it, is it patch or plug ? How much should it cost?

thanks
Welcome to the Forum hpad06. :wavey:
Chances are it is not covered under warranty if it is just something that can be fixed with a plug. Where you take it is up to you. If it is in the sidewall, then the tire will have to be replaced, as JDraper mentioned.
Since you don't show which model you have in your profile or in the Vehicle Specs I don't know which tire brand you have on the Ex. Your tire warranty booklet says that Hankook does not cover punctures. I'm sure the other manufacturers listed in it are likely the same.
I had a puncture in a sidewall on my '09 Highlander but because I had purchased an extended warranty on the vehicle, the cost was fully covered by it.

Peter

I have never paid to have a nail removed from a tire.:eek: Most tire shops out here actually do that for free including the tire shop I purchase from.

I went to the delaer, first they wanted to charge $50 for patch and plug, then later on said the hole is too big, and still leak after patching.

Now I have to order a new tire, and they ask for $275 + tax.

I assume this is not covered either ?

the oem tire is
245/65R17
Goodyear Fortera HL Edition

I went to the delaer, first they wanted to charge $50 for patch and plug, then later on said the hole is too big, and still leak after patching.

Now I have to order a new tire, and they ask for $275 + tax.

I assume this is not covered either ?

the oem tire is
245/65R17
Goodyear Fortera HL Edition
That sounds a little on the expensive side. I have the 20" wheels but put on the base 17" steelies for Winter. I purchased 245/65R17 BF Goodrich Winter tires from the dealer for $169.95 + tax.

Do you have FWD or AWD? There will be some wear on the 3 original tires, and hopefully not too much.

Just make sure the new tire is the same as the ones on the Explorer now. I see that Goodyear does offer a Fortera HL (P) tire for sale. Many OEM tires are usually not manufactured to the same standard as the same ones you can buy from a retailer.

I looked up the Goodyear Canada site and their tire warranty also does not cover punctures.

Good luck.

Peter

Thanks Peter!

Ended up paying $350 to the dealer for tire/labor/tax at a Brampton Ford dealer.

I used Bridgestone Blizzard winter tire, as it is the only tire I could find officially supports the new Explorer from the manufacturer's website.

Also I only drove 8K on this all season tire, I am hoping it's not too much an issue.

Back