Name my Part

badge49

Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4X4
'98 4.0L SOHC 245 Vin E

What is the name of the part that the the thermostat sits in and the two temp sensor/senders screw in? This part is under the intake manifold/TB, in the front of the engine. It is the plastic housing that the thermostat sits in (vertically, mine is not horizontal). It's not the "thermostat housing"...that is attached to the coolant hose and the top of the thermostat. Here are a couple pics:

1zd2ir6.jpg

2njlp93.jpg

I want to replace the part because one of the sensors is stripped out and it leaks coolant. Anyone know the part number or at least the part name?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Coolant Explosion!!!!

My stop-leak ruptured and the engine pumped all the coolant out today!!! Could this part be called the "Water Outlet Connector" like on a 3.0L engine (pg. 3-9 Chiltons)? Take a look at the picture below. The blue is the "Thermostat Housing", the red is the part I need to replace...but I don't know what its called.:(
207th83.jpg

Thanks, but I think that is the part I outlined in blue, just under a different name. The part outlined in red is bigger and holds both the thermostat and the two temp. sensor/senders.

New question: Does anyone else have a vertically mounted thermostat housing like me, or does everyone else have a horizontally mounted housing?

Went to the Stealership

I went tho the dealership today and got a quote for the part...$160, and we're not even sure if it is the right part. Take a look at the print-out he gave me below. The red is what I need.
fvjpye.jpg

I also found that this part only comes on SOHC engines and can be called a "thermostat housing", "water outlet", or "water/coolant manifold." Autozone, Kragen/Parts America, PepBoys, Riebes/NAPA, and RockAuto.com do not carry the part. Can anyone give me ANY input before I spend a ton of money at the dealership?

Yep, it is indeed the thermostat housing. I tried to install the temperature sensor and discovered that the housing is intended to be installed as one unit. The individual sensors are not intended to be serviced alone, the whole unit must come out. 164 sounds about right for what I paid. But yes, that is the thermostat housing.

Darn...did you have trouble pulling/installing the housing? I'm going to pull the old one and see if I can't repair it rather than replace it. It looks like you have to remove the intake manifold? I hope not. Thanks for the help!

That sensor fitting there is common to strip, and the housing is high dollar. I'd try to get s used one if possible, from a SOHC V6. Good luck,

I havn't been able to find a SOHC engine for months. I'm in the process of pulling the part right now. I assume I'll need a new intake manifold gasket, but what else will I run into/need?

I would pull the upper intake at least, it is common for those o-ring gaskets to leak. They only cost about $8 at Ford.

Pulled It!

Well, I was able to pull out the housing without taking off the intake manifold. There are three 10mm screws that hold the housing to the engine block...they're a real PITA to take out, but do-able.

I found that one of my temp. senders' threaded bushing had come loose and now spins, rather than tightens. Also, I found that one of the coolant exits is corroded, but there should be enough left for me to clamp the hose to. I'm going to use some gasket dressing to seal the problems inside and out. Here's what it looks like after a ride in the parts cleaner: (her dishwasher)

Upper & Lower Thermostat housings together:
2ywhil0.jpg

Lower Thermostat Housing w/thermostat:
o5nd09.jpg

Lower Thermostat Housing...the problem part:
111tnvo.jpg

I'll let you know how it works tomorrow, when I re-install it.

Back