narrow dana 44 is this a good idea | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

narrow dana 44 is this a good idea

cole01

Reaction score
City, State
Dryden
Year, Model & Trim Level
1986 Bronco 2
Just found out that my dana 44 has a loose tube on the passenger side ( long side ) it is a fullsize dana 44 out of a 79 bronco, I was thinking of narrowing it to fit my bronco. My question is could I pull out the loose tube cut 6 inches off it and put it back together to narrow the tube ? and where would I get the axle for it. not sure how much to cut off the tube. any help would be great thanks:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Typically people cut just enough to run another (shorter) axle shaft. So find an axle shaft that is close to the length that you want to run and cut the tube for that shaft.

Warn has a good axle-shaft table outlining the different lengths:
http://www.warn.com/truck/axles/inner_axle_app.shtml

does anyone know what a eb dana 44 measures? them I could just buy a eb axle

Choose from that link that IZ posted...

1972-1977 BRONCO Front Dana 44 (Length 27.94 in.; 30 Spline; Passenger Side)

1971-1977 BRONCO Front Dana 44 (Length 33.91 in.; 30 Spline; Passenger Side)

1980-1983 WAGONEER Front Dana 44 (Length 32.12 in.; 30 Spline; Passenger Side)

I have a eb dana 30 that is the correct lenght I need so I guess I could pull out the axle and measure it, then cut the tube to match the dana 30

Choose from that link that IZ posted...

1972-1977 BRONCO Front Dana 44 (Length 27.94 in.; 30 Spline; Passenger Side)

1978-1979 BRONCO Front Dana 44 (Length 33.91 in.; 30 Spline; Passenger Side)

1980-1983 WAGONEER Front Dana 44 (Length 32.12 in.; 30 Spline; Passenger Side)
Fixed. :)

Thanks for all your help

keep it full width?
I know narrowing fits and matches the Explorer/Ranger/EB/BII better but I also know quite a few people who have narrowed and then regret it
Maybe not the full 6"

wider is better

Just found out that my dana 44 has a loose tube on the passenger side ( long side ) it is a fullsize dana 44 out of a 79 bronco, I was thinking of narrowing it to fit my bronco. My question is could I pull out the loose tube cut 6 inches off it and put it back together to narrow the tube ? and where would I get the axle for it. not sure how much to cut off the tube. any help would be great thanks:salute:

Are you talking about narrowing it at the diff end of the axle tube? cause if I remember right the axle seal is machined in to that end of the tube, may cause a problem if you do it from that end...

keep it full width?
I know narrowing fits and matches the Explorer/Ranger/EB/BII better but I also know quite a few people who have narrowed and then regret it
Maybe not the full 6"

wider is better

I didnt narrow my axle since it was already narrow, but in hindsight i would use a fullwidth axle. im having a ***** of a time fitting brackets and stuff on the narrow axle.

just finished the axle, what I did was pulled out tube, cut 6 inches off, machined end of tube for seal, pressed back into houseing, welded holes, ordered heavy duty shaft for a 1972-77 bronco dana 44. hope it all works dont have the shaft yet.

Back