• Register Today It's free!

Narrowing a 8.8

racinjason68

Reaction score
City, State
94 Limited
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91XLT '92EB4x '96V8 2wd
Well couldnt find a good place to ask this so move it where you want.

I am wondering if anyone has narrowed there 8.8 themselves. I am thinking of narrowing mine about 3" total or 1.5 each side, and wondering if anyone has done it and how well it turned out. Also where you got your axles. I am thinking of doing it myself and buying moser axles that are made to the correct lenght.

Any one help on this subject I am all ears.......

Thanks, Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cut the long side down to fit a short side shaft. Not sure how much that will get you. Or use a short side shaft on the long side and then you only need one custom shaft.

I think I would rather try to keep the center section where it is and just cut off equal amouts from each side. Why have one new axle and one old? Just do it once and be done. Just wondering who has done it and what they ran in to as prolems if any.

So there a 1.5" difference on the long side to the short side? If not then it wont work. Plus why would you want one used axle and one new? I could see to save money but I would rather have 2 new axles.

You can buy NEW stock size shafts as well. If you can make a stock one work it will be cheaper then buying two custom ones. Im not sure how much shorter one is then the other. From when I had my 8.8 apart one shaft was shorter then the other and it seemed like one was about 1.5" shorter. 8.8s came in other vechicles as well. Maybe there is one with the right width you want already. What are you trying to do with your narrowed axle? Unless you are running a super short driveshaft like less then 6" you can get away with the pinion being offset a bit to one side as long as it clears the gastank or exhaust.

ok well I am still on the hunt. I am fixing to remove the axles and narrow the housing, Guess I need to find a place that can order axles for the lenght I need.

This narrowed rearend is going in my Airride vehicle, it will allow the wheels to go to about the bottom of the back side glass. I could get different wheels but then that would not help later on... I really need it narrowed.

Most of the 8.8's I have seen have all been about the same width. Maybe I am wrong but most I have found have been the same.

Thanks, Jason

8.8's are 2 widths, fullsize found in f-150s and broncos and explorer/ranger/mustang widths.

Yeah the full size would be nice if i was doing a crawler in the explorer.

Now time for a bit of a rant....

Why is it that most people are willing to help with info or do work on something till they find out it is going in a "Air Ride" vehicle. Now when I was talking to them about narrowing my 9" for my mustang they were all about it, but then you bring up the 8.8 and they go to stammering. I need help on the narrowing, they should not be turning me down due to what I drive.

Make me want to tell them that hey you like "hot rods" well I have a '66 Stang, You like "4x4's" ? Guess what I have a '79 Bronco.

I am just getting really tired of the run around due to what I am working on. That is all.

Thanks so far everyone for the help.

I do have about as much tire on the ground as a 10.50 slick.... That is why most times I just ask what it will cost to get it done and not say what it is going in.... There are 2 shops around here that do it. 1 is a race shop and the other is a off road shop... Guess where i fit. neither to them.....

What happened to the days they did the work and took your money? Now if it something they dont like or feel worthy they dont have time or it will take a few months to do....

Yeah, I had that problem with a gear shop by me. When I bought the TrueTrac for the front diff, I called J&S Gear (a reputable shop around here) and asked if they would do it. They said they only do hot rod stuff anymore and got away from offroad stuff. WTF does that matter? It's a L/S that needs to go in a diff wether it's a 9" for a hot rod or a D44 for a truck...lame.

Sorry to hear it. Good luck.

Cut the long side down to fit a short side shaft. Not sure how much that will get you. Or use a short side shaft on the long side and then you only need one custom shaft.

Hmmm... I'm not sure i see the difference of cutting down a long side shaft to use the short side and using the short side shaft on the long side :confused:

to do it you will have to have an allignment jig... which is more or less a straight steel bar run through the diff to axles end to assist alignment of the housing end when you weld

Hmmm... I'm not sure i see the difference of cutting down a long side shaft to use the short side and using the short side shaft on the long side :confused:

Thats what I get for postings right before I go to bed. I cant even blame alcohol on that one.

Is there a specific reason why you want to stick with an 8.8? By the time you cut one up and have custom shafts made you might be able to get a 9" for the same price.

Use a 90-92 Ranger axle, from a 4.0L truck. They are 28 spline but they are also 3" narrower than the explorer axle. I even have the explorer caliper brackets already modded for the discs. Don't let the 28 spline scare you, cuz they are also used in stangs/lincolns with the 5.0L, just different width.

93-pres rangers are 1.5" narrower than the explorer axle.

I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find a ranger guy willing to trade you axles.

There is no real point to narrow an 8.8 when there are so many different widths already.

'83-'92 Ranger axle = 56.5"
'93+ Ranger axle 58.5"
Explorer axle = 59.5"
Lincoln Axle = Close to 61"
F150/Bronco = close to 64"

are you sure? I am going on the hunt for one if so. Also you say the brakets need modifing to use the caliper brackets? If so can you give more info or pics as to what needs to be done? I am back to working on this vehicle and could use the info real soon. Thanks for all the great info, I knew someone has been in this situation befor....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I figured I would suggest it. Save you some $$ and time.

I have the brackets from the ranger 8.8 for sale if your interested?

I filled the original holes for the explorer axle mounting and drilled the ranger pattern. I had them on the truck for close to 7 years. Trouble free. This would allow you to keep the discs out back. As there are no ranger 8.8's with discs. Unless the $tainless $teel brake kit was installed.

Back