• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

NASA to bomb the Moon Today!

Turdle

Habla tortuga
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
http://week.manoramaonline.com/cgi-...2&pageTypeId=1073754893&contentType=EDITORIAL

Washington: Just weeks after ISRO and NASA announced discovery of evidence of water on the lunar surface, the US Space agency is all set to bomb the Moon Friday in search for hidden water in a controversial mission.

Scientists will see two spacecraft slamming into the moon's south pole at 9,000 kmph kicking up a 10-km-high shower of debris that National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) hopes will confirm the presence of enough water necessary to supply future visits by astronauts.

Amateur astronomers in parts of the world may be able to view the impact through a telescope; for everyone else, the crash will be broadcast live on the NASA website along with early pictures of the lunar dust cloud during the dramatic mission.

Within an hour of the impact, scientists will know whether water was hiding there or not.

The Indian Space Research Organisation(ISRO) announced last month that the country's first unmanned lunar mission Chandrayaan-I found evidence of water on the moon within a month after it was launched in October last year to make the first such discovery.

NASA had also announced last month that it found evidence of water. The crashing spaceship was launched in June along with an orbiter that is now mapping the lunar surface. LCROSS, short for Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite and pronounced L-Cross, is on a collision course with the moon, attached to an empty 2.2-tonne rocket that helped get the probe off the ground.

NASA is carrying out this mission to see if any water, ice or vapour is revealed in the cloud of debris. Discovering sub-surface ice is important because the ice could be used as a source of water for efforts to build a colony on the moon’s surface.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

manaen

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Clear Spring, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Xterra Pro-4X
Tax dollars well spent..... LOL

corkey

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Elite Canuck,multiple ifs offender,, and musky maniac,, i wheel and i fish,,
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xls,96 xl,91,08 Ranger
can't screw up this one enough,, gotta move on to the next ,

Scotty J.

Packin
Reaction score
City, State
Little Rock, Ar
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Ford Ranger XLT
Tax dollars well spent..... LOL
Well, we have to have somewhere to run when the Euros fire up that Hadron Collider on December 20th 2012 :D

boggs1227

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Flowery Branch , Georgia, 1994 sport 2wd auto
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 colorado 2wd 5spd
yeah for 79 million it had better be on target...tho hard to say that a $79 mill' depleted last stage booster would be better used as a bullet than left to float up there aimisly and cause another sattellite crash if thats the case then i say go for it but if it's still useable and just nasa wants to goto the shooting range then i disagree with that idea .

nasa has got some range time in with their "near" and "deep impact" missions ...near i think landed on one and the deep imapct mission actually shot a volkswagen sized impactor into a asteroid so forthem to shoot the moon should be a no brainer for them i think .

good to see that they are getting rid of yet another piece of dead hardware from up there .my father being in the broadcasting business has to deal with sattelite's on a day to day basis. if you think that there is a lot of stuff up there right now you would be correct over thousands of sattellite's and debrie from every launch but what they don't tell you is that there is a "grave yard orbit " when a sattellite reaches the end of it's operation life span they will use what little propellant to park it into a certain obit and turn it off so to speak so take into account of all the "active" stuff we have up there ...take that number and times it by 2-5 with the grave yard orbit and you got a mess up there ! lol .....i really don't know how they keep sending the shuttle up so much like they do with out hitting at least something and thens thers the space station ......

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Arizona officials just sent out a message via our local news. They said flares are going to be dropped over the Goldwater bombing range tonight and that the public shouldn't be alarmed into thinking they are UFOs.

I thought the timing of this was perfect. On the same night we're bombing the moon, aliens are NOT visiting Arizona... Just flares.

boggs1227

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 colorado 2wd 5spd
no rick ...i hear that the aliens are tailgateing somewhere on the moon to be ready for tommorow morning .....just get a telescope out and look for the bbq grills getting warmed up :D

Flounder

Owns 10,000 Marbles
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Sport Trac Adrenalin
'bout time the moon got it. Sittin' up there, all lookin' down on us.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer

Blacksheep Josh

Slinky+Escalator=Fun
Reaction score
City, State
Statesboro, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ford Ranger, RIP 93 X

manaen

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Clear Spring, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Xterra Pro-4X

boggs1227

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 colorado 2wd 5spd
This sudden interest in the moon is part of Bush's plan called the "Vision for Space Explorations".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vision_for_Space_Exploration

Its not all that but meh, its money spent in expanding knowledge rather than killing off each other. :afro:

true.... looked at the web page and found a pic of the next gen mars rover .but i see they missed a fundamentel goal when they designed it ....
800px-ExoMars_model_at_ILA_2006.jpg

can you guess what it is i'm talking about ? "power" ...their still useing solar panels for power generation ! why not use a system like they installed on the saturn / casinii probe ( nuclear reactor ) ...that way even when the rover is in winter or covered with mars dust it can still function without haveing to wait to power up to perform science experments or traveling non stop .

Turdle

Habla tortuga
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
true.... looked at the web page and found a pic of the next gen mars rover .but i see they missed a fundamentel goal when they designed it ....
800px-ExoMars_model_at_ILA_2006.jpg

can you guess what it is i'm talking about ? "power" ...their still useing solar panels for power generation ! why not use a system like they installed on the saturn / casinii probe ( nuclear reactor ) ...that way even when the rover is in winter or covered with mars dust it can still function without haveing to wait to power up to perform science experments or traveling non stop .

oh, the idea of sending nuclear fuel ( plutonium) up in a rocket kind of scares me. Sometimes they go up a bit then go boom.

davesexplorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Central PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 F350 7.3
Bombing the moon huh... interesting. We still have plenty of earth to bomb, quit wasting resources Obama!

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
Bombing the moon huh... interesting. We still have plenty of earth to bomb, quit wasting resources Obama!

Umm, as much as I may not agree with the current administrations ideas, how can you blame someone who has been in office for < 1 year for a project that has been going on for years. Its not like He had an idea and asked Nasa, and they put in play in < 1 year..

~Mark

celly

disturber of the peace
Reaction score
City, State
calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 eb 5.0 awd
Umm, as much as I may not agree with the current administrations ideas, how can you blame someone who has been in office for < 1 year for a project that has been going on for years. Its not like He had an idea and asked Nasa, and they put in play in < 1 year..

~Mark

Exactly. Why does EVERYTHING have to become politicized? :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

boggs1227

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 colorado 2wd 5spd
oh, the idea of sending nuclear fuel ( plutonium) up in a rocket kind of scares me. Sometimes they go up a bit then go boom.

....i think they said the exact same thing you just did when casinii was on the launch pad ( why in the world are they wanting to launch a radioactive payload ?) ....all went fine ..... i would think that there are cetain safeguards in place if something like that was to happen but like with murphy's law ...anything can happen ..... and with obama kinda like when bush came to power ......first year and then 9-11 happens ,he had a LOT on his plate and did the only actions he could take at the time but thats not to say he made mistakes ...he made some bad ones along with the good ones so for obama.....the c4c was not so hot but he's still sifting through the piles of things needing to be fixed so we will see .....give him the chance to screw up in a really big way then lets start bashing him :D