Natural Gas / Exhaust Smell in cabin | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Natural Gas / Exhaust Smell in cabin

hspangler

Reaction score
City, State
Havre de Grace
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hey everyone, I'm new here. Found the forum while searching for others maybe having the same problem. I did a search here but didn't see this exact issue.

I have a 2016 Explorer, bought in 2017 after one previous owner. I started smelling exhaust or some kind of odor about 2 years ago maybe. Took it to the Ford dealer, they "couldn't smell anything". It was never fixed. Been smelling it ever since.

About 4 weeks ago I started smelling a natural gas smell in the cabin. It was the first time I had run the A/C as it was getting hot outside, Just a local drive, I noticed it about 7 to 8 minutes into the drive. Took it to the shop again, they reset the HVAC in hopes that this would address the problem. Seemed ok for about 20 minutes and then the smell came back.

They can't seem to figure out what it is. I'm finding it hard to believe. I've read some articles and watched a youtube video about fumes leaking into the cabin and Ford knew about it in 2012. You can smell that natural gas odor coming off the car long after it's been parked and turned off and when I get inside it's just there all the time.

At the same time, I'm now hearing a rattling underneath at about 20mph and slower and then today my rear AC hoses were leaking. Don't know if these are related but it's all happening at the same time.

Sorry for the long message. I'm hoping to get some insight into this. I appreciate anyone taking the time to drop some knowledge on this.
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

JAPeterson

Reaction score
City, State
Gypsum, Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 XLT
The last time that I smelt the sulfur smell it was the O2 sensor that was causing problems. Not on my Explorer but another vehicle. Once they replaced the sensor all was well.

hspangler

Reaction score
City, State
Havre de Grace
Year, Model & Trim Level
The last time that I smelt the sulfur smell it was the O2 sensor that was causing problems. Not on my Explorer but another vehicle. Once they replaced the sensor all was well.
Ok thank you. Crazy to me that they can't seem to figure out what the issue is.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
Check your manifolds.

dvdswan

Reaction score
City, State
SEATTLE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
Check the rear seal on the back gate/window. There may be some one-way flaps that allow air to escape when you close the doors that may have curled up as well.

hspangler

Reaction score
City, State
Havre de Grace
Year, Model & Trim Level
Check the rear seal on the back gate/window. There may be some one-way flaps that allow air to escape when you close the doors that may have curled up as well.
That's great info, thank you!

PlatinumOwner

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Orange County, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
Check the PTU, when my PTU failed the vehicle had a strong natural gas odor. They have re-designed the part (again) since the 2016 model year was introduced.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3