Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 F150 SC 5.4
OK issue #345196 for my truck hehe

Natural gas/ gas system

I have whats left of a natural gas system that was modded into it after my parents bought it. All i need is a new tank. But these are the options.

1. Get a new tank and put a bbq in the back too!!
^ ya right hehehe

2. Ditch the system ourselves and hope the truck still works.

3. Get some technician to remove it.

4. just let it sit, and someday it may be usefull.

What would be the best?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would say to put a new tank in it and use it if the gas is available in your area. I know there are not very many nat gas cars around here. If you dont want to do that, you could probably take it all off and sell it here, im sure somebody wants to run nat gas :D

So, it runs on both fuels? Fix the tank and then you have th best of both worlds...

Doesn't it make it a

:fart: it a more explosive exploder?.... I'd be afraid to roll in that......

Karol

I think il consider gettin a new tank, i dont know how much they are but its probably a waste to let it sit there unused. Only one problem, in the whole area, theres only one natural gas gas station, but still, its probably gonna be cheaper then regular gas... urrg.

We had ditched the explorer into a creek at about 60kph, natural gas system was fine. Course the only damage was the front lisence plate (damn commercial plates, dont know how we got one) but ya its explosive!

i guess thats why the dude from ford told us "Your Ford Exploder window is ready" hehehehe.

How well would a natural gas system 9 years old sell for for a ford explorer?

I'd be afraid to roll in that......

we have CNG in our state car fleet. Those tanks are capable of taking a .44 magnum shot without a dent.

Many people make arguments about how unsafe the CNG and Hydrogen vehicles are. "That stuff is so explosive."

Since when is gasoline not an explosive substance...?

You might not know it but in Europe where gasoline prices are just plain ridiculus most cars and trucks run on Propane... you can have a retrofit kit installed in a day. Price of Propane is just a third of price of regular gasoline. If you can fix it and use it... if there are nat gas staions nearby you might be able to save some $$$$.

Originally posted by Dre
If you can fix it and use it... if there are nat gas staions nearby you might be able to save some $$$$.

And you should loose much, if any, performance as compared to a gas X.

BTW... how's performance? Any noticable difference between the two? I heard that engine life is a bit shorter if you run it on nat gas...

Actual i think natural gas ran better, dont forget, gasoline contains water, natural gas is pure natural gas, and if anything, it would make the engine last longer because it is a cleaner fuel then gas and better for the enviroment. our engine runs fine, even after 9 years.

Check for yourself if you want to know about performance

Soon... I might be installing a retrofit kit in my truck. Will see how it performs. I understand fuel consumption suffers a bit while running on natural gas... right?

its been two years since we had the tank, natural gas is suppose to be more fuel effecient, so i dont see why fuel consumption would suffer. Either way, im not to experienced with it but natural gas/ propane is good to have with gas, you can change the fuel over while the vehicles running, it saved us alot on our trip across canada.

If your an idiot, it's explosive.:D

Get rid of the regular gas and completly switch over to natural. Then go to your DMV and let them know that it runs on Natural Gas ONLY and see what kind of a tax break you can get.

that's right... get some money back from Uncle Sam... BTW... what is the cost of natural gas compared to regular gasoline?

About a month ago I researched the topic Conversion to propane / Natural gas. What I have found out is that you will get 3-4 mpg less running prop/nat gas, ppl say that they have trucks running on prop/nat gas since new and they have 200K - 300K miles on their trucks. They don't notice any loss of power running prop/nat gas.
BUT I also found out that propane conversion costs $3000 CAN and natural gas conversion costs $3600 CAN. What the hell! Everything seems so sweet except for the price. I have many other thigs to spend these money for.

And quick question. Why the prices for prop conversion and nat gas conversoin are different? Does it mean that if I convert to prop, I would be unable to use nat gas? And if I convert to nat gas I would be unable to run prop?

Brandons
I would suggest you to save what you have now and to install the tank for regular gasoline.

when you buy brand new... Ford that is you also have the option of buying with retrofit kit installed in the factory.... that would be at about $3000.00 more than sticker... or invoice price.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

$3000 for conversion on new truck isn't that bad comparing to old truck which price is twice as much as conversion price. You never know how long would used truck run, so it may turn out that you won't save any money from using cheaper fuel (prop/nat gas). It may turn out that you will be $3000 shorter if your truck died soon after conversion. That's why I decieded to stay with what I have and if I had that kit already installed in my truck I wouldn't get rid of it.

Back