• Register Today It's free!

Navajo ECU Port

'94NavajoXL

Reaction score
City, State
Mission, Texas in the Rio Grande Valley
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Navajo LX 4x4
Hi Im new to this Forum, and a few months ago, I didnt even know such a thing as a MZDA Navajo Existed. But I had always wanted an explorer sport so this was close enough.

My truck is a 1994 Mazda NAVAJO LX 4x4 with about 130,000 miles. When I bought it, it was lacking power. My Four cylinder ranger was faster and thats because it lugs around 33's.

That being said, i Know the navajo is manufactured by Ford, but thats about it. Now i did a tune up with those E3 spark plugs and autolite wires. I also cleaned out my IAC for preventative maintnance. I have done this to my two other Fords and had excellent results with no problems. But on my navajo I did the Tune up of plugs and wires and the cleaning of the IAC valve, and after a few miles of trying to see if the plugs made a difference, the check engine light came on. I should have never gunned it. :(

What I want to know is where is the port to pull the OBD 1 engine codes. After the tune up the truck is running way stronger, but the CEL is on can anyone help. Also can i use the same scanner that will fit the explorers computer port, or do I need one especially for the navajo.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to the forum !

a couple of things ,

tho i have not seen under the hood of the navajo i would imagine the test port is in the same location like the explorers ( passenger side of the engine compartment right next to the fan blower houseing)

did you disconnect the battery when cleaning the iac and let the computer relearn ? if so then i would suggest that go get a obd-1 ( the system is the same as a explorer obd-1 so any said reader will work )scanner at auto zone ... 2 types , the one i got is a "actron" code reader that uses a led and a chime to let you read your codes ( $ 20-30 ) but they also sell another one thats only a few bucks more that has an lcd display to let you see what codes are being sent ( much better and cuts down on the confusion when trying to decipher blinks from a led light ....like morse-code almost lol ) .

you can check your codes to witha paper clip and erase them in the same manner but sorry i have never did that or have the link to give you i'm sure someone here does that can give to you about it ) but with my actron it will let you read active codes and then stored codes and also let you erase the codes from memory .

once you gota way of checking codes erase them from the computer then disconnect the battery wait 20 minutes then reconnect them and start the motor and let it run or drive for about 10-20 miles to let the system relearn it's self and see if you got a return code from before or cel light .

What exactly does the connection look like? ON my Navajo there are three connections next to the fuse/relay panel two are circular cylindrical type, and the third is a small rectangular one.

I have never pulled OBD 1 Codes, but I did find a wierd connection behind the driver side headlight. It is pretty big, and it is not connected to any thing it just hangs there on a white plastic tag on the core support. It has two brass colored contacts in a weird configuation, but it dosent connect to anything

Do you have to disconnect something to connect the ecu scanner or is the port just an uncovered harness connector like the one i found on my core support

i think the one behind the drivers light is for the anti lock brakes or something else but not the one your wanting.

DSCN1351.jpg

and for the correct plug your looking for look for this ( obd-1 connection )

DSCN1352.jpg

the connection port should have a protector hood on it that holds the harness's that you plug into the scanner .

Thanks Bro you really helped me out. I found the connection, it was hidden under the relay panel. I went and bought a code reader and was able to pull the codes.

not a problem :salute:

what codes did you get?

Back