• Register Today It's free!

navigation system question

russell bruesch

Reaction score
City, State
new buffalo michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 limited explorer
I have a 2011 explorer limited with navigation. I understand that the turn by turn directions and the map feature is the default setting if you have navigation in your car. If you loose satelite signal your turn by turn directions and map data are gone. If you are driving and this happens can you remove the nav sd card and will sync take over the turn by turn driving directions for your route that you have programmed into the system.? Or do you have to call sync and ask for the driving directions to your previous route? Do the two systems work together if one of the systems are down and not working. I have alot of trouble with my nav system dropping out for several minutes at a time for no apparent reason.

I have a 2011 explorer limited with navigation. I understand that the turn by turn directions and the map feature is the default setting if you have navigation in your car. If you loose satelite signal your turn by turn directions and map data are gone. If you are driving and this happens can you remove the nav sd card and will sync take over the turn by turn driving directions for your route that you have programmed into the system.? Or do you have to call sync and ask for the driving directions to your previous route? Do the two systems work together if one of the systems are down and not working. I have alot of trouble with my nav system dropping out for several minutes at a time for no apparent reason.

I believe it doesn't work that way if you were to happen to lose your connection to satellites. Removing the navigation SD card won't prompt sync to take over turn by turn directions. You would have to call sync to get directions from your current location to your destination. When you are having issues with connecting to satellites, you should go into diagnostic mode and look to see how many satellites are found by your system. Here is the thread with the information on that:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324878

You probably should take your Explorer to the dealership if you are having a lot of issues with GPS connection dropouts.

Hi, russell bruesch!

Like boltsfan17 said, you'll have to call SYNC Services for the rest of the directions since the two systems don't work together in that way. I also suggest a trip to your dealership if your NAV isn't working regularly. They will have to run tests to diagnose the issue. Keep us posted!

Rebecca

Hi, russell bruesch!

Like boltsfan17 said, you'll have to call SYNC Services for the rest of the directions since the two systems don't work together in that way. I also suggest a trip to your dealership if your NAV isn't working regularly. They will have to run tests to diagnose the issue. Keep us posted!

Rebecca

LOL, good luck on that one. "It's the softwares fault, it will be fixed in the future upgrade." Software is upgraded, "it's still the software's" fault.

New APIM being installed next week, only 11 months after I complained the first time that the Nav didn't work properly. I will see if this actually makes a difference. My parent's Edge sees 8-9 satellites, this morning when I finally got my car back after being at the dealer for the whole week, I was able to see 4, then it dropped to 2.

Oh, and I now have a ton of scratches on the passenger door that weren't there before I took it in to the dealer. Gotta love service departments and body shops(I'll add that I believe the fault with the scratches lies with the body shop which isn't owned by the Ford dealer since it was there for 4 days).

Sorry, i'll stop complaining now.

Back