• Register Today It's free!

NC Safety Inspection and Rust

TequilaSnrs087

Reaction score
City, State
Chapel Hill/Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport
I am concerned about my Explorer passing its safety inspection with all the rust it has. Most of the body is actually very solid. The frame is in excellent condition, as is the floor and all of the areas around the body mounts. The rockers however are trashed. Even though they don't support the floor or anything and so far it is all cosmetic damage, I am worried that the truck could fail safety. It is great mechanically and the frame is perfect, so I'd hate for that to happen. I was wondering if anyone knew the NC inspection rules regarding rust? The truck always passed in PA, and it has passed one year in NC. The truck hasn't seen much if any salt since last year, so I assume that the rust isn't much worse than it was when the truck came here (I have only had it for a couple of months). I searched online for the criteria for a vehicle to pass safety in NC and could not find anything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It really just depends on the county your Ex is registered. When I lived in Boone (Watauga county) they only thing they checked for the safety inspection was that the lights worked (headlights, taillights, brakelights, turn signals, etc), the horn worked, and that the tires were okay. Mecklenburg county might be a little stricter though.

1995? It just needs tires seatbelts and all lights working...That's all my 94 needed.

It all just depends on where you get it inspected. I've had places that don't pop the hood and other places that don't check the lights. I don't think rust matters at all though...

Yeah, my @ss was falling through the floor in my '87 VW Fox and it passed every year ... well, it never failed for rust anyway. ;)

Yeah, my @ss was falling through the floor in my '87 VW Fox and it passed every year ... well, it never failed for rust anyway. ;)

But, like I said, it varies from county to county in NC. Other states, like VA and MD, have statewide mandated inspections. Mecklenberg county might be stricker than the rest of the counties, since it's one of the larger counties (population wise at least).

Hopefully they will not care too much. Thankfully, it sounds like they won't.

I'll probably just take it somewhere that is familiar with the truck.

Back