• Register Today It's free!

Nearly WHIPLASH!!!

HuiDaddy

Reaction score
City, State
UCSD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 5.0L
Hey guys, got me a question... Some times when i press the gas pedal, it gets a little stuck, so i have to press it a little harder, then when it finally gets "un-stuck" all my passengers and I get a little whiplash cause the engine totally revs like a mother!!! What could be the cause? sometimes it happens when i am at a complete stop. and sometimes it happens during regular driving. WHATS UP? is there some sticky stuff in my engine??? help!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's a few cheap things to try first, worked for me. Mines a 93, not sure what you have. Take off the intake duct to the intake, and remove the little black plastic cover that is over the throttle linkages. Look in at the throttle butterfly, it probably has black stuff all around it. Get a can of throttle body cleaner, and make sure you get one that is safe for the intakes with a protective coating. Spray it down to clean all the gunk and use a clean rag with some of the cleaner on it for the really stuck on stuff. Hold the throttle open with one hand and clean around the edges where the butterfly seals when closed. Then clean all the cables, springs and linkages for the throttle, then spray it all down with a good spray lube. It worked on mine, good luck with yours.
Chris

I know there is some kinda throttle cable, i just dont know where it is.. is it under the black little tiny box? my explorer is the '98 V-8. I was just gonna one day find that throttle cable and just BLAST it with good ol' WD-40. Will that damage anything? If the little black box IS covering the throttle cable, if i take off he screws that hold the black box down, will the eitire set-up fall completely apart??? thakns for the advice guys!

I'm not sure on a 98 V-8, but I would think the process would be similar. The black cover on mine is just a shield. Take the 2 bolts off and you can uncover the throttle linkages etc. Spray lube won't hurt a thing. I have a Haynes manual, if it has any good pics I could scan and email them to you if you like, let me know.
CJ

Chris is right on about cleaning the throttle butterfly. I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago, though not quite to the extent you are experiencing. I try to do this a couple of times a year just to keep the build-up from getting out of hand.

------------------
AgExplorer
95 XLT 4X2 4.0L OHV
AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filters
NGK Platinum Plugs
Jacobs Electronics Wires
Monroe Reflex Shocks
PIAA 9007 Headlight Bulbs
Info and Ordering for AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants - Dead Link Removed

HuiDaddy, I don't know if ford still used the same procedures with their components, but I know that some throttle bodies have a special coating on them and there is a sticker on the throttle body that warns against using any type of solvent or cleaner on it. Anyway, I decided that this 'coating' didn't matter anymore when I polished the inside of the trottle body from my 5.0 Mustang. Guess what-now it sticks just like you described. I don't know if ford still uses this coating, but it is a thought. I agree that cleaning it would help.

Charlie

------------------
Charlie May
1992 Navajo LX 4x4

GREMLINS WITH ATTITUDE Dead Link Removed

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial ">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HuiDaddy:
Hey guys, got me a question... Some times when i press the gas pedal, it gets a little stuck, so i have to press it a little harder, then when it finally gets "un-stuck" all my passengers and I get a little whiplash cause the engine totally revs like a mother!!! What could be the cause? sometimes it happens when i am at a complete stop. and sometimes it happens during regular driving. WHATS UP? is there some sticky stuff in my engine??? help!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might check with Ford and see if there is a TSB for the 98 V8. My 98 V6 SOHC had a recall on the throttle body due to it sticking closed and having to push harder to unstick it. Once it unstuck, it was fine until it sat closed for awhile. Just a thought.

------------------
Exploring CA
98 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

You might check with Ford and see if there is a TSB for the 98 V8. My 98 V6 SOHC had a recall on the throttle body due to it sticking closed and having to push harder to unstick it. Once it unstuck, it was fine until it sat closed for awhile. Just a thought.

Another thought, someone posted a problem with a 97 or 98 where the gas pedal pivot bracket broke it's weld to the firewall.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Exploring CA
98 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

Back