neat little Offroading switch pannel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

neat little Offroading switch pannel

I decided to pick up a spare cupholder/ashtray for a 96 explorer at the junkyard so I could make this little beauty

DSCN3175.jpg

th_DSCN3176.jpg

the two military switches are going to be ABS and Air bag disable, the four switches next to that will control front and read winch power lines and lights through relays and the switch next to that are my auxiliary backup lights, the knob above that is the dimmer for the switch lights (they're ungodly bright).

I still need to print some labels and paint the aluminum black and do some wiring, but this is what basically the idea

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That came out sexy! :cool:

I'm tempted to build a few and sell them, it was really fun to build

I'll be doing something similar here shortly, but it will be located in the single din space that is open from my new headunit.

It'll be for the BWM, Air Horn, Offroad Lights, and 2 for my Amps.

I'll probably use lexan though, instead of aluminum like you did.

very cool idea/project

anyone know if that style cup holder fits the 00's?

yup it will fit no problem

Nice looking switch panel project

yup it will fit no problem

Nice looking switch panel project

awesome!

this is such a sweet idea, I haven't seen this type of cupholder before so I was trying to figure out where the heck to put my switches!

great thread

they came on the 95-97 model Explorers

Please make me one! Oh please, oh please!...lol

Seriously, I would take one from you if you made it. I have 5 switches and more being needed right now. I don't use my ashtray at all, this James Bond Mod is just what I need!

lol @ Gmanpaint

Making it seems like the easy part, running all the wire is always what makes me nervous.

How did you hold the plate in there? and where are your wires running out of? the front of the console?

This is just about the coolest center console mod I've seen. I have been looking for something to do with all my switches. I have three Switches above where you have the message center, then i have 4 inside the cubbies that i have. So something hide able and neat and confined would be a great upgrade, especially since i would really like to put a message center in and all my switches would have to be relocated anyway. You may want to make a write up on how you did this.

Justin

That came out cool. I did the same thing back when I had my explorer. I liked being able to hide them.

the aluminum plate is held with 3 3mm RC screws I had left over in my RC hardware and the small lip I left in place (careful dremel work)

the only headache is the crimp on connectors cause a clearance issue by about an 1/8" so I might just solder the wires

full picture write up coming soon I suppose.

Oh and I can make blank inserts an full units with blanks if you want, just PM me

guess Im heading to the junk yard soon to pick up a few more 96 ashtrays

lol @ Gmanpaint

Making it seems like the easy part, running all the wire is always what makes me nervous.

How did you hold the plate in there? and where are your wires running out of? the front of the console?

wires will run through the front the same way I ran the message center wires, taped in groups, all wires run through the fire wall will have their own grommet drilled next to the factory thingy running to the under hood box

I swiped some relays from the junkyard too and will be mounting those under the hood somewhere to run the equipment, I just made that mount last night

anyone know what the max current load of the relay from the center console is? I'm guessing its between 15 and 20 amps

most of my mods are small, torsion twist and air shock lift for now... SAS later and a message center... and I need to install my 12V outlets correctly... I have a CB, but that's hardly a mod... I also carved off those nubs on the front headlights and polished them flat and i added auxiliary reverse lights that trigger off the reverse lights and one of my switches

The back side of the whole unit
DSCN3189.jpg

the cuts on the stock ash tray
DSCN3190.jpg

the front of the panel
DSCN3191.jpg

the rear of the panel
DSCN3192.jpg

I'm working on how I want to present my cardboard guide and measurements

now with a little paint!

DSCN3193.jpg

DSCN3194.jpg

DSCN3195.jpg

DSCN3196.jpg

DSCN3197.jpg

and good news for people who wanted one

I HAVE THREE!

yes they come all yucky and skuzzy, I have a lot of cleaning to do

DSCN3199.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have two orders, who's next

prices are negotiable

Back