Neat things you have found out on the 6th gen. | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Neat things you have found out on the 6th gen.

My question is about #3. I know in sport mode there is a tachometer. When I went for a test ride, I did not see it in other drive modes. Did I miss something, or is this configurable. If it is, can you point me to the section in the owners manual please?

It's configurable. Check out pages 106 and 116 in the owners manual.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's configurable. Check out pages 106 and 116 in the owners manual.

Thank you very much. On page 116 it says the tachometer is configurable if you have the 12inch information display. I believe they mean the one where the speedometer is, not the one that they call the information and entertainment display that comes in two versions, stock and the one in the technology package. My guess is that the entry models might not have this larger display.

It looks like Ford did a good job from what I have seen and read so far. The only gripe is that they don't always make use of all real estate on the optional information and entertainment display (the one that looks like an iPad).

Regarding the Auto Stop-Start feature, I discovered that with a foot on the brake I can activate Start by turning the steering wheel.

On the 2020 Aviator, if you use "Excite" mode - auto stop is disabled! For all the other modes I have however purchased the Auto Stop module mentioned on this site and it works great

I noticed that when the recent time change took place, I didn't have to manually adjust the time in my vehicle. It adjusted automatically.

Peter

I noticed that when the recent time change took place, I didn't have to manually adjust the time in my vehicle. It adjusted automatically.

Peter
@peterk9

Communicates with the cellphone tower system. We live 2 miles from the time line separating Mountain Time from Pacific Time, which runs smack up and down the middle of the Colorado River. When we cross that river, our cells automatically change time by an hour!

But only in winter, when DST is over, 'cause our State, AZ, does NOT change it's clocks! Confused? imp

@peterk9

Communicates with the cellphone tower system. We live 2 miles from the time line separating Mountain Time from Pacific Time, which runs smack up and down the middle of the Colorado River. When we cross that river, our cells automatically change time by an hour!

But only in winter, when DST is over, 'cause our State, AZ, does NOT change it's clocks! Confused? imp
The clocks on my previous vehicles had to be adjusted manually. Glad they finally got it figured out.

Peter

I found out that the Aviator doesn't have the infamous "double honk". It just produces a double chime. Nothing that would alarm or irritate anyone around.

Peter

I found out that the Aviator doesn't have the infamous "double honk". It just produces a double chime. Nothing that would alarm or irritate anyone around.

Peter

Speaking of that ANOYING double honk when you exit the running vehicle with your key in your pocket! Is there any way to disable that in the 2020s?? I can't understand why they thought this was the solution to alert the driver the vehicle is still on. In some areas it's actually against the law to honk your horn for no reason. It makes me cringe with low level rage every time it does it!

Hi Matt. FORScan was able to get rid of it in the 5th gen Explorers. I don't think anyone has tried it yet on the 2020 models.

Peter

Hi Matt. FORScan was able to get rid of it in the 5th gen Explorers. I don't think anyone has tried it yet on the 2020 models.

Peter
Welp, I guess I'm jumping into the FORScan rabbit hole! ...looks deep...

Speaking of that ANOYING double honk when you exit the running vehicle with your key in your pocket! Is there any way to disable that in the 2020s?? I can't understand why they thought this was the solution to alert the driver the vehicle is still on. In some areas it's actually against the law to honk your horn for no reason. It makes me cringe with low level rage every time it does it!

Because people have left their vehicles running in their garage before and have died from the exhaust (yes, this has happened). The double honk is to alert you it is still running as a safety measure.

Yes annoying but makes sense. Either leave the door closed on just the first click and not shut fully or leave the fob in the car and lock the doors from the outside. Either one solves the problem till it is found in forscan

I've begun to walk away a couple times think the engine was OFF after hitting the Sart/Stop button only to get the double honk alert telling me otherwise.

Peter

Even though this was Toyota it's the reason for the horn honking
Jun 17, 2019 - 10 posts - ‎9 authors
The Pennsylvania man and his dog died after he accidentally left his Toyota ... However, it's a Ford, and has a few methods to try and stop the above scenario. If you exit the vehicle with engine running, the horn will honk. ... Same over here, its hard to tell if my explorer is off sometimes but mine also beeps if ...

Even though this was Toyota it's the reason for the horn honking
Jun 17, 2019 - 10 posts - ‎9 authors
The Pennsylvania man and his dog died after he accidentally left his Toyota ... However, it's a Ford, and has a few methods to try and stop the above scenario. If you exit the vehicle with engine running, the horn will honk. ... Same over here, its hard to tell if my explorer is off sometimes but mine also beeps if ...
Also, if you ignore the honk, the engine will shut off after about 10 minutes of unattended idling. You can override and postpone shutdown indefinitely if you are present to provide input, but otherwise it will turn off, presumably before it kills you like the Toyotas do. Automatic Engine Shutdown, manual page 169. Can’t be disabled (at least without FORSCAN).

When the air conditioning is on Max AC and you make a call on the cell phone through Sync, the fan speed lowers to allow you to talk with less background noise.

TBill

Also, if you ignore the honk, the engine will shut off after about 10 minutes of unattended idling. You can override and postpone shutdown indefinitely if you are present to provide input, but otherwise it will turn off, presumably before it kills you like the Toyotas do. Automatic Engine Shutdown, manual page 169. Can’t be disabled (at least without FORSCAN).
It appears that Automatic Engine Shutdown was only introduced on the 2016+ Explorers.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found out that the front headrests in my Aviator are power-adjustable.

Peter

Back