Neat things you have found out on the 6th gen. | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Neat things you have found out on the 6th gen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like that can have all three vent types (windshield, directly at you, directly on feet) going at once. In my 2014, 2016, and 2018 explorer sports, it would only let you choose two out of three to be running, which I could never understand.

Had a weird situation when stopping for a signal tonight. I pulled up close to the car in front of me, so the car behind me could squeeze by into a turn lane. My hands were directly on the steering wheel. And my highbeams turned on! Not sure what caused that but the person in front of me probably wondered why I was giving them the highbeams! Thank goodness I was able to turn them off right away.

“Christine” has been behaving for a solid 3 weeks now but may be spoiling for some more mischief.....

I like that can have all three vent types (windshield, directly at you, directly on feet) going at once. In my 2014, 2016, and 2018 explorer sports, it would only let you choose two out of three to be running, which I could never understand.

Had a weird situation when stopping for a signal tonight. I pulled up close to the car in front of me, so the car behind me could squeeze by into a turn lane. My hands were directly on the steering wheel. And my highbeams turned on! Not sure what caused that but the person in front of me probably wondered why I was giving them the highbeams! Thank goodness I was able to turn them off right away.

“Christine” has been behaving for a solid 3 weeks now but may be spoiling for some more mischief.....

I have to double check on that one. I pressed that 3 way climate control button but then on the screen I could only select one of them before they started. I have to double check. i was able to get one at a time but not all vents blowing all at once.

.......Had a weird situation when stopping for a signal tonight. I pulled up close to the car in front of me, so the car behind me could squeeze by into a turn lane. My hands were directly on the steering wheel. And my highbeams turned on! Not sure what caused that but the person in front of me probably wondered why I was giving them the highbeams! Thank goodness I was able to turn them off right away.

I'm guessing your headlights were already on when that happened? If so, you may have been too close to the vehicle in front in order the sensor to pick up the taillights.

Peter

@peterk9 "Neat things"........

Took me a LOOONG time to find this out, and it was by accident when scrounging around once under a Ford F-series 4X4 I noticed the front differential pinion gear was ON TOP of the pumpkin center section. IOW, the pumpkin was upside down!

I already knew about gear teeth and such, and that ring gear teeth are much stronger in one direction than the other.

th

Looking at the lowest few teeth above, the tooth profile difference is easily seen: the right hand face rises nearly vertically from the bottom of the tooth, while the left hand face rises upwards at an obvious angle which is sloped. The vertical faces are termed "DRIVE" faces, the others "COAST" faces. This means the drive faces transmit the forces to move the vehicle in the forward direction, "seeing" the highest forces, while the coast forces transmit only the force needed to keep the driveline turning when the throttle is closed.

Thus, drive faces in the REAR AXLE are really driving faces. But, the 4X4 design has the entire axle, in the front, turned around, causing the front gearset to be reversed also, and the forces to move the vehicle FORWARD are applied to the usually COAST faces.

So what? .....Gear teeth always try to "spread" themselves apart. The vertical DRIVE faces produce almost no spreading. Forces applied to the COAST faces force the gears apart. Such was a fact of life in early 4X4s, on up through the 1960s, and perhaps '70s. At that point, after many front axle failures, manufacturers began the unusual process of installing the front axles, UPSIDE DOWN, to make the old COAST faces again do "coasting duty". This placed the pinion and it's bearings higher up, clean out of the "pool" of lubricant they sat in in the REAR axles. Why they took the final step.......I am not sure. Because it confused many who did not understand all this tooth bullshit, or the final "fix" used:

They began cutting ring and pinion gearsets as "reverse rotation", to be used in plain old rear pumpkins for use "up front"!

I'm guessing your headlights were already on when that happened? If so, you may have been too close to the vehicle in front in order the sensor to pick up the taillights.

Peter
That makes a lot of sense - I forgot about the automatic high beam at night feature. I may get have to look at disabling that - or just don’t get too close to the car in front of me!

I don’t seem to have the two small panels to cover the side rear cargo areas that I see in your photo. Are they stored somewhere in the vehicle and I just haven’t found them? I have the main board as well as the small rubber mat for the center area.
The small panels can fit into the slots vertically and be pulled out and laid flat instead.

I'll take my heated blades for $140 that heat up instantly. Domt know why it has taken so long for this. Aftermarket has had this for many years and they work fantasticly.

I'll take my heated blades for $140 that heat up instantly. Domt know why it has taken so long for this. Aftermarket has had this for many years and they work fantasticly.
I think the difference is that the washer fluid is also heated. The first time I tried the front washers, I wasn't sure where the spray was coming from. The video explains that it comes from the wipers themselves instead of the usual nozzles. I'll have to see how this setup works this Winter.

Peter

Navigation turns show in the digital dash screen:)

TBill

I just discovered that when the headlights on my Aviator are ON, all 4 are powered, and no, they are not on high beam.

Peter

Chrysler had the heated wiper fluid almost 20 years ago. Not sure if they had heating elements at the blades, but I am sure the Germans already had that. US automakers are still behind the curve with washers for the headlights that are mandated by UNECE countries.

I just discovered that when the headlights on my Aviator are ON, all 4 are powered, and no, they are not on high beam.

Peter
That's actually pretty cool. I'll have to check my wife's out.

Level of outside noise control. We drove by a street performer playing a violin and couldn't hear anything, even with the radio off.

This type of thread is one of my favorites to follow back on the Ford Focus ST forum.

Here are a few mentioned from another thread to get us started........

1. RWD based with longitudinally mounted engine
2. HVAC fan speed slows down when you start a phone conversation! The speed kicks right back up once you finish the call
3. middle round button on the seats when pressed turns on/off the message seats
4. there is a button on the dash near the emergency lights that activates the front camera so you can pull the nose up to something and not hit it
5. The trunk's under-storage lid (& side covers) are reversible (hard top / soft top). Plus, the side lids can be made to be vertical in the slots (to make into cubby compartments)
6. When you turn on Intelligent Cruise Control, if you press Resume rather than set, the speed is automatically set to maintain the actual speed limit +/- your preferred tolerance
7. when following another car, the little icon in the dash is a generic sedan when in normal mode, a mustang when in sport mode, and an F-150 when in tow mode.
8. On Remote Start....Air Conditioning, seats heat/cool, & rear defogger all come on based on outside temp

8. On Remote Start....Air Conditioning, seats heat/cool, & rear defogger all come on based on outside temp

You have to set the system on "Auto" for this. I believe there is also a way to leave it at "Last setting" or something along those lines as well.

When I switch to Sport mode from regular mode I can hear some kind of a CCCCCCCCC sound coming from the engine. It is difficult to describe but it is some kind of sound that is generated when switching to Sport mode. I especially hear it when in indoor parking lot. I wonder why I hear that slight whistle noise when switching from normal to sport mode while being idle.

This is very cool : Depending on the mode you activate, if you have your acc on changes the picture of the car is in front of you.

Per example, is sport mode shows a Mustang ; Normal mode a Fusion and in towing mode or snow shows you a F150.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 184
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 171
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 179

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back