Neat things you have found out on the 6th gen. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Neat things you have found out on the 6th gen.

If you don't take the teq package, then there is this nice storage department in between the dash and the screen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Haaa... have not seen that, will have to run it lower ;)

On the 5th Generation Explorer it turned to yellow and red too. I barely seen red but I definitely seen it turn yellow.

Just noticed the 2020 Platinum retains Ford's only non-blue "Blue-Oval" logo on its steering wheel. On the Platinum, the logo is platinum-colored.

This was introduced on the 2016 Explorer Platinum, and to the best of my knowledge it is exclusive to the Explorer at this trim level. Nice touch!

Just noticed the 2020 Platinum retains Ford's only non-blue "Blue-Oval" logo on its steering wheel.

Read somewhere in 2016 it, literally, took Board approval to get permission to vary from the standard Blue-Oval.

Read somewhere in 2016 it, literally, took Board approval to get permission to vary from the standard Blue-Oval.

That's interesting. I'm certain it required high-level approval to use the non-blue Ford logo on the Platinum's steering wheel.

For most of my adult life, I ran an advertising agency. For each client, we had to keep an up-to-date Corporate Identity Manual on hand to ensure we used logos correctly. Often, our art director had to send staff to an identity-training session to learn a client's standards for logo color, size, scale, orientation for use in print, displayed on computer monitors, positioned on various vehicles, presented on signage, used in tradeshow exhibits, etc. Deviation from identity standards was forbidden!

Large companies take the consistency of their identity very seriously, and I'm a bit surprised the Explorer's design team was able to deviate from the standard Ford Blue on the Platinum's steering-wheel logo.

Okay... Not going to ask how you found that out... :burnout:

I commute 125 miles/day and fill up every two days. If I extend it to the third day it gets a bit on the empty side. There is one gas station within 30 miles of home.

I never paid attention to this but the green led on the start button lights up as soon as you press the brake (before you turn the vehicle on) - stays on once the vehicle has been started

if you remote start the vehicle, you don’t need to press the brake, simply press the start button

On the Aviator, when you are at full throttle or near and the RPM runs up past 5K or so, the redline appears momentarily in the RPM gauge as the needle sweeps. Pretty neat I suppose. Otherwise, the redline does not show.

That's interesting. I'm certain it required high-level approval to use the non-blue Ford logo on the Platinum's steering wheel.

For most of my adult life, I ran an advertising agency. For each client, we had to keep an up-to-date Corporate Identity Manual on hand to ensure we used logos correctly. Often, our art director had to send staff to an identity-training session to learn a client's standards for logo color, size, scale, orientation for use in print, displayed on computer monitors, positioned on various vehicles, presented on signage, used in tradeshow exhibits, etc. Deviation from identity standards was forbidden!

Large companies take the consistency of their identity very seriously, and I'm a bit surprised the Explorer's design team was able to deviate from the standard Ford Blue on the Platinum's steering-wheel logo.

How about the Ford Crown Victoria from the 98-02 years where they had a Ford oval on the steering wheel but nothing filled in? It was the same color as the rest of the steering wheel. I believe it was part of Jacques the Knife Nasser's cost cutting initiatives.

How about the Ford Crown Victoria from the 98-02 years where they had a Ford oval on the steering wheel but nothing filled in? It was the same color as the rest of the steering wheel. I believe it was part of Jacques the Knife Nasser's cost cutting initiatives.
DB6381U.JPG

Prior to 2003 (Ford's 100th birthday), the company was a bit more flexible with the use of their logo. I just looked at my wife's 2002 Thunderbird and realized the only Ford logo on the entire vehicle is a tiny silver oval embossed on the sill plates. Otherwise, the word "Thunderbird" appears where you'd expect to see a Ford blue oval.

If you're interested in the history of the Ford logo, there's a good summary here:

History Of The Ford Logo Design -- Ford's Car Brand Emblem Evolution

Prior to 2003 (Ford's 100th birthday), the company was a bit more flexible with the use of their logo. I just looked at my wife's 2002 Thunderbird and realized the only Ford logo on the entire vehicle is a tiny silver oval embossed on the sill plates. Otherwise, the word "Thunderbird" appears where you'd expect to see a Ford blue oval.

If you're interested in the history of the Ford logo, there's a good summary here:

History Of The Ford Logo Design -- Ford's Car Brand Emblem Evolution

Our 1981 Ford Thunderbird didn't have any Ford logos from what I could recall, other than maybe the door sills... Funny thing is they used the same seat belt mechanisms on the Blue Streak at Cedar Point, they must have repurposed old Ford seat belts for the lap belts.

I guess Ford cares so much about their oval logo that they are falling off a lot of vehicles. I see plenty of them lying on the ground in the parking lot at work. Escapes, F-150s, etc... The Ford ovals from the OEM factory wheel caps for my 2007 Mustang GT all fell off.

So the first cold front swept through my little Texas town which brought temps down to the mid 50’s. Remote started the ST and was pleasantly surprised with heated seat engaged, heated steering wheel on and temp set to 70/ ac and recirculating off.

none of those settings were my own. Following day was 62, remote started the vehicle and it didn’t do any of it. I’m guessing there’s an external temp requirement for all that to happen.

So the first cold front swept through my little Texas town which brought temps down to the mid 50’s. Remote started the ST and was pleasantly surprised with heated seat engaged, heated steering wheel on and temp set to 70/ ac and recirculating off.

none of those settings were my own. Following day was 62, remote started the vehicle and it didn’t do any of it. I’m guessing there’s an external temp requirement for all that to happen.
On by default. Can be turned off via the touchscreen.
E3D6769C-6031-4B1B-BE7B-DABC12E0D3CC.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, so why not start a thread with things you have learned that wouldn't just normally stand out.

1) windows are soft close and open. They slow down when almost closed or almost opened for a softer movement.

2) the dashes on the rpm and speedo get brighter with the speed you are going and furthest point away darkens. So as you hit 3k, 1k darkens, as you hit 4k, 2k darkens etc.

3) if you hug the white line too much, it tells you to get a coffee (my wife's version to give her an excuse to get one).

View attachment 173469

4) The crash warning is on the dash now.. the right side lights up a big red square with the warning.

5) One thing I am not happy about is the lack of auto up/down for the 2nd row windows (drivers control).

My question is about #3. I know in sport mode there is a tachometer. When I went for a test ride, I did not see it in other drive modes. Did I miss something, or is this configurable. If it is, can you point me to the section in the owners manual please?

Back