Need 4 More for Tom's Doubler from T&M Off Road Products | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need 4 More for Tom's Doubler from T&M Off Road Products

Status
Not open for further replies.
damn this is tricky.
I am doing a 5.0L conversion.
I will be running the 97 Explorer 5.0L with the AODE trans, in order to get the BW 1354 on the back of that transmission I have to use a AA adapter, not only that but my info says I have to use the AA 9" long version of the adapter, with all this and the doubler I dont think I can fit it under a BII with 6" of rear lift....driveshaft = high angle.

this has me leaning towards Atlas II

If I can fit a dana 20 I would be very happy, if I can use the short AA adapter it would help.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Positive Vibes said:
I'd be in but I don't like the idea of it leaking due to the surfaces not mating up.

Tom said that they warrentied some of the eary cases due to leaking. They have since fixed it and have a warrenty against leaks. My stock T/case leaks a drip now and then. When I put in the double I plan on rebuilding the T/case with all new gaskets and chain anyways. I found a kit here. If anybody know's of a better kit or better price let me know.

goliath wrote:

interested, what has to be done to the stock radius arm cross member to make it work. is it just a notch and reinforce job, or a total replace job?
Tom's reply:
The radius arm crossmember is in the way due to the
fact the front driveshaft output pivots further back.
similar tot the problem when a large suspension lift
is added. switching to extended radius arms helps this
clearance problem. i have simply cut this crossmember
near the radius arm bushing surface part of the
bracket, and it worked well. the transmission
crossmember also has driveshaft clearance problems -
need to go over and not under the shaft. we no longer
offer these crossmembers - and will need
fabricated/modified. the rear driveshaft will need
shortened about 8" ($100.00) and the front shaft lengthened about
8" (about $45.00). these same problems must be dealt
with when adding a klune-v, or a longer transmission
(ie. fullsized v8- trans.). my personal preferance is
to build long arms with heim joints (jonny joints)-i
think some companies anow offer similar raius arms.
thanks, tom.

Regarding the Leaks Concern:
Based upon the fact that Tom has warranty replaced only two cases with leaks, and that he still provides the warranty for his product, I'm willing to give him the chance / business!

Looks like we have three (3) confirmed!!!???
1. Me
2. RangerX
3. NOTAJP
(Awesome!!!)

ONLY NEED TWO MORE...

How do we send the money?

And it is for sure we don't have to move our gas tank correct?

Yer just going to have to crawl under there and measure! :p

Even though my Ranger is a longbed with a 114" wheelbase, I only have 6" behind the T-case because I have a 21 gallon tank. Looks like I'll do the BII gas tank swap. :D Jamie, where's the info on that, btw? I can't find any, here or TRS.

Gee thanks Bill!!

So I need 12" between the gas tank and the xfer?

Positive Vibes said:

I think he told me once that he accepted paypal.

I measured my truck this morning and there's 12" of clearance between the t/case and the fuel tank on the 1st Gen 4doors. If you have a sport, might want to check again.

BODY LIFT HELPS, you may have to remove a crossmember or modify it to fit.
You will have to extend the fuel lines obviously, re-locate the filler neck possibly custom, and your Explorer or Ranger fuel pump will lock right in.

the BII tank is 23 gallons, you will want to get the tank, straps, and skid plate for your truck.

I believe Fakarwee did this on his Navajo??
This conversion is done often I cant imagine its not covered???

410Fortune said:
I believe Fakarwee did this on his Navajo??
This conversion is done often I cant imagine its not covered???
FAKRWEE has a custom tank by Aero-tanks.
If you find a nice write-up, I want the link too ;)

I just posted on RRORC, the home board of Tom Campbell, and put a link to this thread. Maybe we came get a couple interested people over there. :)

Positive Vibes wrote:
NOTAJP wrote:
I think he told me once that he accepted paypal.
That is correct. Tom does accept paypal. I have confirmed that we have three people committed - maybe a forth. I'm hoping he'll provide paypal details / send me a paypal request tomorrow. I will keep everyone posted.

Positive Vibes wrote:
RangerX wrote:
Yer just going to have to crawl under there and measure!
While it may have sounded a bit sarcastic, he is absolutely right and he is actually giving you the best advice. If you want to be absolutely, "for sure" certain that you won't have to move your gas tank, then - like it or not - you will have get under your truck and measure...

I have a second gen with the 20 gallon tank longways under the drive side. I probably will have to move my tank, but I have a second gen. (I only say probably because I haven't gotten under my truck and measured yet... :D

I'm sure Tom will email me back tomorrow - he's been great to deal with and very responsive thus far - another reason my previous leak concerns are alleviated. He's been a very responsive, straight-up guy to deal with... Hopefully he'll provide paypal details for our deposits, even though we are still working towards 5....

Okay, a guy on the RRORC board says he's in.

Would it be coo to put this inbetween a 700R4 and an Atlas II(3.8:1)?

Don't know if this helps, but does't a Sport have a wheelbase that is 11 inchs shorter then a 4 door. If so would a sport rear driveshaft be 11 inches shorter? Do guys see where I'm going with this? :rolleyes: Just a thought

Diff Whack Daddy said:
Would it be coo to put this inbetween a 700R4 and an Atlas II(3.8:1)?
Thats what I was thinking. But with it being 8" and the Atlas already being quite large, it would require fairly major changes to body and gas tank.

On the other hand, the short 700R4 tailshaft adapter (1-2" vs. AA ~6" ) for the klune (+6") and an Atlas with the 6 bolt pattern I think it could all fit. That is my long term plain anyway. Though by the time I get there I'm sure my gas tank will be a BII anyway.

Pm sent.

I'm in!

We did it!!!

OK all, we have our 5 people!!!

From our board we have:
1. 97XEB (Me)
2. RangerX
3. NOTAJP
4. Positive Vibes

...and thanks to RangerX for posting on the RRORC board, we also have:
5. Offrhoder4x4

Someone named Tim also wants to order and contacted Tom directly. Is that one of you, or a 6th person?

Sending your $100 deposit:
Tom accepts paypal. I have sent him an email asking him to confirm his paypal email account. Once he confirms the email address, I will let everyone know and then you are each responsible for "paypal-ing" him directly. Please do not paypal me or send me any money, we each need to paypal Tom directly.

Sincere thanks for the interest, information and responsiveness of this Board, to those of you who bucked-up and committed, and especially to Tom for working with us to get some quality off-road products for our Explorers!! :thumbsup:

If only the rest of the market was as willing!

I may be a number 6 or 7 or whatever, need to do some measuring once I have the 5.0L drivetrain in my shop and can talk to AA about the exact adapter I need for my neew automatic (6 bolt 97 Merc Mountaineer) I think its the 9" version which might make this a HUGE problem in a BII

I posted over at RRORC I have had one but sold it to a fellow RRORC member since his had a chance of running this year and mine didn't :rolleyes: Anyway I have Taxx's old rig now and am ready to go at it again so count me in :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:bounce: :chug: :burnout: :bounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back