• Register Today It's free!

Need a bigger MAF

mrjody

Reaction score
City, State
como
Year, Model & Trim Level
98/00 xlt rangers
Hey guys..I need a bigger MAF FOR MY 2000 302 explorer harness..where do you guys get these?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well its not as easy as it used to be with the speed density stuff
Your MAS includes the air intake temp sensor as well as the MAS sensor
You can install a larger housing and flow more air and then get a tune to take advantage of larger injectors and the more airflow...

but its not like it was back in 1995 where you can just buy a 24# mas sensor and a set of 24# injectors and "fool" the pcm
At least not as far as I am aware........

What are your goals here?

I'm using 24 or 30 lb injectors and need I think about a 75-80 mm maf or so to match the injectors
Little 302 in a ranger

By the way... since I'm here asking.. I'm having my stock gt40 stage 3 ported..will outflow ANY intake on the planet by the way and appear stock. ..
But I'll be using a 70mm TB off of a foxbody.. how are you guys going about wiring these up? I just got into the explorer stuff for my ranger.. but some of the stuff is foxbody parts..

2001 Ford does indeed have the incoming air temperature sensor inside the MAS air flow sensor
This is the IAT temp sensor for the engines computer
There are 5 wire MAS sensors up until 98 and the IAT sensor is in the intake tube between MAS and throttle body
There are 7 wire mas after 98, the two additional wires are for the IAT sensor which is now integral to the MAS sensor housing

The ambient air temp sensor posted in the pictures above are for the overhead console displaying the outside temp and has nothing to do with engine functions - it does NOT report ambient temp to the pcm as the 5.0 Explorer computer only cares about the air coming into the engine

I'm having my stock gt40 stage 3 ported..will outflow ANY intake on the planet by the way and appear stock. ..
But I'll be using a 70mm TB off of a foxbody.. how are you guys going about wiring these up? I just got into the explorer stuff for my ranger.. but some of the stuff is foxbody parts..

Nice gt40 and gt40p heads can flow very well when ported and polished.
Wiring what up? Are you running an explorer computer or a mustang computer
What year computer?
Wiring up the 70mm MAS? your post is not clear

2001 Ford does indeed have the incoming air temperature sensor inside the MAS air flow sensor
This is the IAT temp sensor for the engines computer
There are 5 wire MAS sensors up until 98 and the IAT sensor is in the intake tube between MAS and throttle body
There are 7 wire mas after 98, the two additional wires are for the IAT sensor which is now integral to the MAS sensor housing

The ambient air temp sensor posted in the pictures above are for the overhead console displaying the outside temp and has nothing to do with engine functions - it does NOT report ambient temp to the pcm as the 5.0 Explorer computer only cares about the air coming into the engine

Nice gt40 and gt40p heads can flow very well when ported and polished.
Wiring what up? Are you running an explorer computer or a mustang computer
What year computer?
Wiring up the 70mm MAS? your post is not clear
2000 explorer computer. Sorry about that. What I dont know is if the foxbody MAF sensor will work on my 2000 explorer setup. I need about a 76mm or 80mm maf sensor matched to some 24 lb injectors.
Plus it's not the stock heads..Trick Flow track heats. Not that it matters on the maf flow sensor..just wanted to point that out. Even though the gt40 p heads can flow almost just as much as the aluminum heads. I needed the weight off the front end of my ranger is the only reason I went with the trick flows

It sounds like you are in need of a tuner. The MAF flow curve can be input for any MAF and you can also change injector sizes. In doing so that allows the EEC to know what the MAF is reading and the EEC sends the appropriate fuel pulse making for an accurate tune.

Some cams don't play well with EEC's. What all are you tuning for, what's the build? You gave heads, no cam, compression ratio, etc. Anything else being done to add power?

I have found ebay and the mustang sites good for used and new parts for these engines.

It sounds like you are in need of a tuner. The MAF flow curve can be input for any MAF and you can also change injector sizes. In doing so that allows the EEC to know what the MAF is reading and the EEC sends the appropriate fuel pulse making for an accurate tune.

Some cams don't play well with EEC's. What all are you tuning for, what's the build? You gave heads, no cam, compression ratio, etc. Anything else being done to add power?

I have found ebay and the mustang sites good for used and new parts for these engines.
I am having it dyno tuned..for sure. Compression should be around 9.5:1 . Having the rear 02's deleted,egr, auto trans.functions and the evap...(track duty🕶) Anderson N412 cam, 1.6 roller rockers, 24 pound injectors.
I was just not sure if foxbody stuff worked on the explorer harness and computer.

no it does not the foxbody computer is obd1, speed density with a distributor correct?
the explorer computer is obd2 with DIS ignition
You might be able to use the foxbody mas sensor, but again it is best to do a tune so whatever sensor you put in that massive 70mm housing will be calibrated properly to your 24# injectors

By the way... since I'm here asking.. I'm having my stock gt40 stage 3 ported..will outflow ANY intake on the planet by the way and appear stock. ..
That’s a pretty bold statement. I’m sure many aftermarket intakes would flow better.

What’s your target HP and RPM?

Your 2000 Explorer computer is OBDII and will work with about any MAF that you have a flow curve for that you can input into a tuner or that the tuner will already accept, like being able to choose it from a pick list. A Mustang MAF will work. I am supercharging a 2000 utilizing a 90mm Lightning MAF with 42lb injectors. The 42's are a little big, but I may add more boost and goodies down the line..................

Your tuner, device and/or person will likely determine what MAF you can run. The tuner must have the MAF flow curve or you have to be able to build it.

That’s a pretty bold statement. I’m sure many aftermarket intakes would flow better.

What’s your target HP and RPM?
Gaurantee it will out flow any aftermarket intake on the planet..as far as street/race. Edelbrock, Trickflow, all those.
350hp to the tire with a little baby cam

Your 2000 Explorer computer is OBDII and will work with about any MAF that you have a flow curve for that you can input into a tuner or that the tuner will already accept, like being able to choose it from a pick list. A Mustang MAF will work. I am supercharging a 2000 utilizing a 90mm Lightning MAF with 42lb injectors. The 42's are a little big, but I may add more boost and goodies down the line..................

Your tuner, device and/or person will likely determine what MAF you can run. The tuner must have the MAF flow curve or you have to be able to build it.
Ok..I'll check with the tuner. Thanks

I'll post flow numbers as soon as I get it back

Let me clarify something here as to not sound like d***.. when I say street/race.. I'm talking about a true daily driver with ac. Drive coast to coast. Not a "race" only aplication. Not sure if my other comment might have sounded a little arrogant..not meant to be

Back