Need a bit of help with P0010 and P0020 after EMC replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need a bit of help with P0010 and P0020 after EMC replacement

MeyerVW

Reaction score
City, State
GIlbert, Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT 4.6L V8
2006 explorer with 4.6 v8. I originally had the 4 P codes for the heater circuit of all the o2 sensors along with one for the purge vale I thing. Wiring checked out. The fuse was good and power to the ECU was good. So I replaced the ECU with a rebuilt unit from FS1. Installed the unit then towed the vehicle to Ford dealer to have the keys reprogrammed for the PATS system. Car starts but runs poorly. Flashing check engine. No power and throttle response is poor. P codes P0010 and P0020, and P0191. I did not have these codes before the ECU replacement. I dont have any wiring schematics to check for continuity on the wiring. Did I miss something?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Removed the ECM and found a bent pin on the ECM side. Corrected it. Plug it all in and still have a hard start but only have codes p0010 and p0020 now. Car cranks and will occasionally start, run for 2 or 3 seconds then die. Checked fuse 42 in the engine compartment. Its ok. Did I just destroy my new ECM?
Pin 53 was bent into pin 37 of the bottom connector at the ECM. Pin 52 was also pushed halfway into the ECM.
Did some test. Everybody is plugged in.
I unplugged the VVT on the intake side of the left bank. IKOEO I have battery voltage.
I unplugged both intake VVT's and the car starts and runs fine. cleared faults and plugged the VVTs back in. Car runs rough and shuts off.
How much voltage should be at the VVT?

Used a power probe to add power to the VVT. I can feel and hear it click.
I need to check the ground circuit of the ECM for this. Anyone have a schematic?
Have 9.2 ohms from the VVT's

I purchased FORScan and ob2 connector from Amazon.
I put the original ecu back in. I used my new scan tool to configure the ecu and reprogram the keys in the PATS system.
The car starts up and run normal. I go get gas. Check faults. None at the moment.
The FORScan system worked and total cost was $70.

new PCM should be reflashed and paired with instrument cluster module (automatically via dealer Rotunda tool or manually via As-build hacker) exactly according to workshop manual procedure.

You cant just swap between PCMs with PATS reprogram only and keep going.in fact, your old PCM still works with PATS reprogram only because of the new one hasn't paired properly.

multiply non-related to each other DTC in most cases refer to bad engine harness (in your case O2 sensors and purge valve wiring it is the same part of engine harness near driver compartment)
PCM is a very reliable module.almost no way to get em crapped. Try to work with workshop manual pin-point test but first check your harness bad insulation (you better take the whole harness off the vehicle to see what is wrong)

I was reprogramming them. But because no schematics I was dead in the water. Took it to a shop and was told what I thought I knew. The ECM is not sending the power out to all 5 components. My new ECM was damaged by the bent pin. New ECM on the way. I did have some different issues going on than others. I never had the blown fuse. My CEL only came on after 2 key cycles. I do hear you about the wiring. Some of mine has hardened pretty bad. I will report back once the new ECM is in. I might also look at repairing mine if possible.

UPDATE.
The new ECM was the correct fix for the issues I described. The software I also mentioned worked perfect and it was able to program the new EMC to the vehicle and the PATS system. Over all my fix was less than $300 total.
Keep in mind I did not have the blown fuse issue that most had. That was the key to going to the ECM and checking the output from the ECM.
The software was only $10 and the connecter was $50. You do need a laptop to do this but you do not need an expensive one. Hope this helps some others. Cheers.

Great write up in my opinion, thanks for sharing.

Back