• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• We are aware of the issue with our internal search engine and we will be bringing it back online shortly. For now please use the Google search bar near the top of each page. Thanks, Rick
^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Need a refresher course: Bent axle- 8.8 w/detroit

Positive Vibes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Santa Cruz, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Ok guys I need a refresher course, it's been so long since I've had to do anything with my 8.8. The passenger side axle is bent, you can see the whole caliper move up and down (kinda funny to watch). So if I remember right it the axle is held in by a clamp correct?

This is pretty easy correct? Meaning a person with decent skill and tools can do this in ther drive way. Is there an upgrade for our axles? Should I upgrade axle/axles? I'm thinging if I replace one side I should replace both sides, whatcha think? I also have a spare 8.8, I believe its 31 splines. Should I sacrafice that diff and pull the axles out of it?

So what are your thoughts, theories, ideas and feedback???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
It depends upon what is bent. If it's only the axleshaft, that's an easy fix. Pull the rear brake caliper off, drop the rear cover, pull the cross shaft out, slide the c-clip out and the axle pulls right out. I'd replace the axle seal while you're at it.

If it's the axle tube bent as well as the axle shaft, then just drop a complete axle assembly in.

Positive Vibes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Santa Cruz, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
It depends upon what is bent. If it's only the axleshaft, that's an easy fix. Pull the rear brake caliper off, drop the rear cover, pull the cross shaft out, slide the c-clip out and the axle pulls right out. I'd replace the axle seal while you're at it.

If it's the axle tube bent as well as the axle shaft, then just drop a complete axle assembly in.
Thank you very much for the quick response. She's got 180K miles on her. No sure how much longer she will last to the cheaper the better.

Positive Vibes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Santa Cruz, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Anybody else? Colin? Jamie?

Positive Vibes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Santa Cruz, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Tried to get one from the pick and pull so I don't have to tear apart my spare 8.8. Our axles are 31 splines correct? But some early X's had 28 splines, correct?

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
99.999% of Explorers came with the 31 spline rear. I've heard that a few of the original '91s (early production models) came with the 28 spline rears, but I've never seen one.

Positive Vibes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Santa Cruz, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Thanks Carl for the offer.

IZwack thanks for the link. One guy had the theory that it may just be the rim. I'm gonna check that this weekend. Figure its an easy check vs. swaping axles. Not sure how I bent it (if that is the problem). I've had a vibration that I can't get rid of. I know the drive shaft has kissed a few rocks and that may be part of the vibration problem.

I took the X to get smogged and when they started reving it up on the thing-a-mabobber I could see the wheel moving. I looked from the rear of the truck and you could see the whole wheel move along with the caliper. My buddy who is a mechanic said he's never seen the wheel and caliper move so much.

Thanks Draper. That's what I was wanting to hear. I'm gonna have the pick and pull pull one for me. It's only $75 for the rear passenger axle.

Any other ideas other than the rim or the axle???

Thanks!

410Fortune

River Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
Swap rims side to side front to back and see

Does the 8.9 leak on that side?

Brett Grooms should have some spare 31 spline shafts hes willing to part with, I can ask him if you dont have his contact info

I have seen alot of bent axleshafts on the drivers side of 8.8's
I'm pretty sure my BII has been running around with one slightly bent for a few years now

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
If the axle shaft is really bent, then, with the rear wheels up in the air, one wheel should wobble because the wheel is bolted directly to the axle shaft's end.

Positive Vibes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Santa Cruz, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Swap rims side to side front to back and see

Does the 8.9 leak on that side?

Brett Grooms should have some spare 31 spline shafts hes willing to part with, I can ask him if you dont have his contact info

I have seen alot of bent axleshafts on the drivers side of 8.8's
I'm pretty sure my BII has been running around with one slightly bent for a few years now

Hey Jamie whats up?

I was going to swap the spare tire with the on that wobbles. See any reason why that wouldn't work?

I get water inside??? From where I haven't a clue. It leaks around the diff cover a bit but not the axle seals???

This is the passenger side.

IZwack I did but the wheels up in the air. One side wobbles the other is fine. When moving the wheel back and forth you can feel a little play vs. the drivers side.

4x4junkie

Reaction score
City, State
So.Calif.(San Fernando Valley)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Ranger, '90 Bronco II
If the caliper is wobbling with it, the axleshaft is definitely bent.

If you have a Detroit Locker, you'll have to also pull off the passengerside carrier bearing cap to get the cross shaft bolt out. Just be sure to put it back on EXACTLY the same direction it came off (torque the bolts to 85 ft-lbs).

Positive Vibes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Santa Cruz, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Got it out and a new one put in. The wobble is gone but I still feel some vibration. Going swap out the drive shaft.

Thanks for the all the advice and imput.

I didn't have to pull the passenger side.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D New member... In need of transmission help... Transmissions & Transfer Cases 1
9 5R55E - L keepers in valve body during rebuild. Need advised please! Transmissions & Transfer Cases 1
W 4r55e input shaft jammed, need help removing Transmissions & Transfer Cases 11
J 2005 explorer axle 45 need traction...swap diff to torsen style? Transmissions & Transfer Cases 6
P need to replace or rebuild my 5r55w... what to do? Transmissions & Transfer Cases 3
R Need info on 99 Explorer transmission Transmissions & Transfer Cases 2
R Need info on 99 Explorer transmission Transmissions & Transfer Cases 0
Fredness 5R55E possible issues found - Need thoughts/peer review Transmissions & Transfer Cases 4
9 Need specs Transmissions & Transfer Cases 0
C need info on 04 ranger 4wd system. Transmissions & Transfer Cases 2
L Need help finding a transmission for 4 l to fix my 92 ranger Transmissions & Transfer Cases 2
bigred4x4 Need help with tranny cooler Transmissions & Transfer Cases 0
B Need Advice - No Reverse - 1999 4.0L SOHC Transmissions & Transfer Cases 2
D Help! In desperate need of a transmission in AZ Transmissions & Transfer Cases 3
S Tricking the PCM... need info Transmissions & Transfer Cases 2
X Need help with this terrible vibration..transfer case? Rear? Transmissions & Transfer Cases 3
S 04 tranny issue need advice Transmissions & Transfer Cases 0
X need a4ld parts! Transmissions & Transfer Cases 5
T need a little help Ford Ranger A4LD Automatic Transmission o/d Transmissions & Transfer Cases 2
W Need Advice with A4LD Boost Valve Transmissions & Transfer Cases 4
B Need an atf cooler?? Transmissions & Transfer Cases 2
B Explorer transmission, slipping returned after new VB?? Need ideas please Transmissions & Transfer Cases 4
J 1999 explorer sport 4x4 speed sensor - Need photo Transmissions & Transfer Cases 0
J Need help deciding gear ratio Transmissions & Transfer Cases 5
1 06 b2300 transmission rebuild 5r44e!! need specs!! Transmissions & Transfer Cases 3
B Need to know what transmission will work Transmissions & Transfer Cases 3
B need help asap please...Delayed reverse & 1-2 flare Transmissions & Transfer Cases 15
P I need help with bleeding my clutch Transmissions & Transfer Cases 5
Y Need a little advise/04 Explorer Reverse Servo Screen Has Hole in it Transmissions & Transfer Cases 1
S Transmission problem need help ASAP Transmissions & Transfer Cases 2
S 5R55S in need of rebuild Transmissions & Transfer Cases 4
T 5r55e no 2-3 shift need help Transmissions & Transfer Cases 8
9 need help with trans parts Transmissions & Transfer Cases 2
9 need help with trans parts Transmissions & Transfer Cases 0
F Do you really need the dust shield? Transmissions & Transfer Cases 0
Z O/D Light Flashing.. Need Help! Transmissions & Transfer Cases 10
R Need a Trans Shop Recommendation- Portland Transmissions & Transfer Cases 1
M A4LD "hiccups", need help! Transmissions & Transfer Cases 12
R Replacing my 97 5r55e, NEED HELP! Transmissions & Transfer Cases 0
C Need to make sure I'm ordering correct parts for m5r1 rebuild Transmissions & Transfer Cases 1
L 4406 Need Help Transmissions & Transfer Cases 6
C need help narrowing down my problem Transmissions & Transfer Cases 9
C Need to know how to re-build a 1354M t-case Transmissions & Transfer Cases 1
L Need to install a vss Transmissions & Transfer Cases 2
C HELP. I need to grease a non-greasable u-joint. OK to drill cap? Transmissions & Transfer Cases 16
1 Need more traction stat! Transmissions & Transfer Cases 18
0 5r55w to5r55s swap questions- need info please Transmissions & Transfer Cases 5
C 911 need info at pick n pull now Transmissions & Transfer Cases 4
D Need some diagnostic help with a 1992 Explorer A4LD Transmissions & Transfer Cases 4
F Need help with my transfer case and transmission replacement Transmissions & Transfer Cases 1