Need a rough estimate on axle swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need a rough estimate on axle swap

I am wondering how much the solid axle swap would cost me. Just to know how I am going to spend. I don't want to lift it now and then put a solid axle on. I just want to do it all at once.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Howdy, I'm in New Bern and am considering a solid axle swap as well. It looks like just for parts mine is gonna run about $1000, and it's gonna probably be around $500 for a shop to actually install the axle in my truck. Although I plan to do everything else such as revamping axle, lifting rear to match, that sort of thing.

If your gonna do all the work yourself you could save some serious money. I would be willing to bet you could do everything for less than $1000.

It's hard to come up with a number because there are so many things you could do.

Costs for one axle:

Axle itself
Gears
Install Kit
Locker
New wheel bearings
New Rotors or drums
New pads or shoes
New Calipers or wheel cylinders
New manual hubs
Labor on some or all of this

Now there are SO many different axles you could use and the suspension part depends on the axle and what you want.

So basically figure out what axle you want to use and what kind of suspension and it'll make the process of budgeting a lot easier.

Rule of thumb on stuff like this...

Take whatever number you come up with and double it. Then you should be able to cover the cost.

I can get an axle pretty free of charge, and the gears as well. I am mainly worried about what the conversion is going to run. i have teh parts in mind, but finding someone who would know how to do it is another. I have places around here that would do it, but have never done it before, and want a lot for the work. For that kind of money i'd do it myself. I have been looking under my friends TJ and some Rams to get an idea of what to do.

Are you going with leafs? Coils? 4-link? coilovers?
If you think you can do it yourself, then do it yourself. Jason25, I would be really surprised if you could find someone to do the labor on the swap for $500. Mechanics around here want to charge $500 just to repack front bearings ;)
I agree with CoryL, there are simply too many variables involved to give you any kind of estimate. I've seen as low as 'a couple hundred' over on the POR board, to in excess of 6k, and both of those swaps were done for the most part by the owner of the truck, i.e. minimal labor costs.

I want to do it like a land rover setup or however Scouts or J**ps do theres. I got guys in my old shop that would help me in anyway they can. I am just doing my best to get away from the Twin Beam. I just don't lke lineing it up, takes me forever. Plus i like a solid axle.

Back