Need advice - 2017 Explorer or 2016 Expedition | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need advice - 2017 Explorer or 2016 Expedition

Which would you pick to replace a Rotten Ford Egg 2015 Explorer?

• Used 2016 Expedition

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

stang99gtv8

Reaction score
Some background as a quick summary.

I purchased a 2015 Explorer 3.5 XLT two months ago. It's been plagued with the rotten egg smell they can't fix. I have an offer to trade in this one at no loss and have a decision to make. Either go with a brand new 2017 explorer, same package type, or go with a 2016 Expedition that is lacking some of the features, but as far as I can tell has no history of the infamous Rotten Ford Egg. These are my two best and basically only options to get this fixed quickly.

I'm struggling with this hard as I love the explorer except for this issue, but I've seen people posting that their 2017's have had the same issue. If I get a new one and it suffers from the same thing, I'm going to be sick and feel straight up hosed. I enjoy the expedition myself, but my wife has concerns on the size, which I can understand.

What would you do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In the end, the decision will be yours regardless of what members say. The rotten egg or sulphur smell is usually caused by the catalytic convertor. It can usually be produced by any vehicle under the right conditions, usually when you step on it and force a large amount of exhaust through the convertor but it should not linger in the cabin and ideally not enter it at all unless it is from a vehicle in front of you. If you have it constantly then you may have a faulty convertor. All gasoline contains a certain amount of sulphur so there is no way of avoiding that product.

Peter

In the end, the decision will be yours regardless of what members say. The rotten egg or sulphur smell is usually caused by the catalytic convertor. It can usually be produced by any vehicle under the right conditions, usually when you step on it and force a large amount of exhaust through the convertor but it should not linger in the cabin and ideally not enter it at all unless it is from a vehicle in front of you. If you have it constantly then you may have a faulty convertor. All gasoline contains a certain amount of sulphur so there is no way of avoiding that product.

Peter

While I understand this, the issue with our was to an extreme level, one of those "knock you down" levels of smell that could be re-created on demand and was told it can't be fixed. The thought of going through that again has me terrified, though I also understand it may not be an issue at all on a different car of the same model.

If you can create that undesirable smell "on demand" when driving your 2015 Explorer 3.5 XLT, why not take the new 2017 Explorer for a pre-purchase test drive to find out if you can use the same technique to create the smell with the 2017 model?

I have a 2016 Explorer, and I've tried everything to get my vehicle to make this odor but have been unable to make it happen. That means that while I have no doubt the problem exists, it does not happen with every Explorer.

I'd take that 2017 for an extend, hard charging test drive. Do everything you can think of to create the issue.

You could also ask them for a 72 hour return window, or to let you take it for the weekend, or something like that, befor

I have a 2015 Ex and drive both the latest EX and Expedition when traveling (National Car). I prefer the Explorer.

Expedition is rated a better built/less trouble car, look into the tests & measure your garage entrance.
...plus awesome built in, electric running boards...

I was looking at the Expedition and it barely fits in the garage. New houses in Texas nowadays arent made to garage full size SUVs or trucks. So I stayed with the Explorer. When the lease term ended I went from a 15 Explorer to a 17 Explorer and so far no rotten egg smell.

I was looking at the Expedition and it barely fits in the garage. New houses in Texas nowadays arent made to garage full size SUVs or trucks. So I stayed with the Explorer. When the lease term ended I went from a 15 Explorer to a 17 Explorer and so far no rotten egg smell.
So the old saying "Everything's bigger in Texas" isn't really true.:D

Peter

Back