Need advice. Alt Rebuild? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

  • Register Today It's free!

Need advice. Alt Rebuild?

jsun

Well-Known Member
Joined
March 18, 2003
Messages
262
Reaction score
1
City, State
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport SOHC 4x
Hey guys/gals,

I was wondering if I should rebuild my 130 amp alt, and was wondering if the symtoms I'm having are directly related to a ???voltage regulator???

At Idle, the alt is ~13-14V's(normal). Above idle, the truck is also charging(normal). I just install a new batt as well.

But If I have wippers, stereo (stock), heater, lights on, my voltage drops to ~12V(batt voltage). This is also a low reading on my instrament cluster. So low that it has me concerned about stalling. No warning light within cluster. Also headlight's begin to dim until rev'd up again with all these accessorys on.

Could my drop in voltage be related to the voltage regulator? Should I re-build the alt?

Thanks in advance!
J
 



Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!
.





i'd just buy a new one , but i'd double check that serp belt first.
 






Sounds like the brushes are getting worn down. Put new brushes in and see if it helps.
 






Originally posted by udmsvt
i'd just buy a new one , but i'd double check that serp belt first.

I would too, but I have to many things requiring repair at once. truthfully, I can't afford it unless I leave some of my other repairs for later.

Serp belt. I'll check it out, What would be the best way to check for belt tension? Or do you even have to, due to the belt tensioner?

Thanks for the reply!

J
 






Originally posted by 85Dave
Sounds like the brushes are getting worn down. Put new brushes in and see if it helps.

Thanks!

How hard is this to do for someone with a electrical/mechanical background? Is it a PITA in other words?

Cheers,

J
 






Originally posted by jsun
I would too, but I have to many things requiring repair at once. truthfully, I can't afford it unless I leave some of my other repairs for later.

Serp belt. I'll check it out, What would be the best way to check for belt tension? Or do you even have to, due to the belt tensioner?

Thanks for the reply!

J

tension should be obvious...just check to make sure itisnt cracking or anything like that....i know about repairs...mine is in the trans shop as we speak.
 






Back
Top