Need Advice ASAP: Car Idles at Stop Sign/Red Light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Advice ASAP: Car Idles at Stop Sign/Red Light

afhockey093

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer 4WD V6
Hi, I'm embarking on a planned road trip back to school tomorrow and I've recently noticed that my explorer stalls occasionally when stopped at a red light or a stop sign. When i turn the car off and on it works fine but i'm wondering if driving the car 1,000 miles will do more damage because I'd much rather take it to my mechanic who just rebuilt my engine. Two major issues in 6 months?? Thanks,
Alex

Also, the overdrive light flashed one time, but not since.

Like always, you need to pull the codes with a quality scanner to see what is really going on.

Couple of likely causes:

IAC -- idle air control valve on the intake, sticking or plugged up -- easy fix with choke cleaner spray.

Vacuum leak -- diagnose this with a vacuum gauge and/or starting fluid. BRIEFLY spray a burst of starting fluid to vacuum hose areas with engine running -- if it revs up, there's your leak.

Torque converter lock up -- not disengaging all the time. Needs further work that will be impossible without pulling the transmission.

Back