Need advice - considering buying 2001 Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need advice - considering buying 2001 Sport Trac

dogfisher

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 F-150
A local dealer has a great deal on a low mileage (32K) 2001 Sport Trac that I'm considering purchasing. I've read a lot about tranny problems with this year. What do I need to ask/look for before purchasing this car. It looks like new and and the CARFAX reports only 2 prior owners who drove it little. Only a few oil changes as far as service thus far. No other repairs. Any information would be helpful before I pull the trigger.
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The transmissions are not the greatest, but no where near the problems the 2002 models had. The timing chain components are the larger issue with the 4.0L SOHC engines. Other than that, the reliability on these vehicles (like all the Explorers of this generation) is quite good. 32k on a 2001 is hard to believe. I'm sure the dealer is asking a lot of money for it. But it's almost certain you'll have to deal with the timing chains at some point in the future. It's an expensive repair as the engine has to be removed to access the rear chain cassettes.

A 32,000 mile truck will probably cost a premium price, but any expensive repairs should be many years and miles down the road. I'd look for gaskets and seals that may have dried out from lack of use. Those probably won't show up until you start driving it though.

Transmission is not that bad, add an external cooler to id. 5R55E on our family's 95 has 200K and no issues, just have an added cooler and kept the fluid changed every 30K miles or so. Heat is what kills these transmissions.

If the truck has the towing package it'll have a tranny cooler. My 01 had the towing package so it got 4.10 axle ratio, tranny cooler, and the hitch all from the factory.

Back