Need Advice for Aftermarket Gear

Slipdiskdave

Reaction score
City, State
Ashburn, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
Hi everyone

New to the forum, but just picked up my 2nd Explorer, a 2013 XLT in Tuxedo Black. Looking to add a few aftermarket things and was hoping to get some opinions and have a few questions answered. So here we go...

The two exterior things I'm doing immediately are nerf bars and cross rails on the roof. And here are the questions:

1. What brands do you like for nerf bars? I'm looking at Aries, Westin, Steelcraft, or DeeZee.

2. Do I go with the 3" or the 4" bars? I see a lot of pics on the forum but its not always noted whether they are 3s or 4s.

3. Right now, I'm looking to buy through carid.com. Any experience with these guys? Good or bad? And if bad, who would you go through?

4. For the cross rails, I'm currently leaning towards just getting the Ford OEM set. Any real reason to spring the big money on Yakima or Thule? Most of my roof hauling would be low weight; surfboards and such.

Thanks in advance. Glad to be here!

Dave

Hi Dave:

We have found out that is a matter of personal taste when it comes to running boards and nerf bars; especially for the Ford Explorer. Most of our retail customers and Ford dealers prefer the much sleeker look of running boards made by ATS Design or Owens. For some reason they do not like the look of the nerf bars installed on the newer body style of Ford Explorer as they say that it cheapens up the look of the vehicle and also make it look more like a pickup truck. Also Thule products are well worth the extra dollars as they are a high quality product. Best Wishes to you on your new vehicle!

Hi Ron:

Questions regarding product code 6975FD2 Running Board for 2011+ Explorers:

1) Will I have to remove the front splash guards I've already installed?
2) Can you post more pictures of "as installed" showing underneath?
3) Any installation manual available online to view?

Thanks!

Back