Need advice - need to replace fuel lines going to both fuel rails - ford discontinued part | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need advice - need to replace fuel lines going to both fuel rails - ford discontinued part

3xowner

Reaction score
City, State
Western US
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Explorer EB 4SOHC RWD
I believe I eed to replace my fuel line near the passenger side, right bank, near the end of metal mesh line near mounting flange to to injector rail.
The line starts somewhere below the left bank and runs first to the left bank, then has a pressure test fitting then runs to the right bank.

Dealership says is not available, discontinued, whatever. It a 2000 explorer Eddie Bauer 2wd 4.0 sohc with eatc manufactured may 2000.

It's going to be hard, i think to find a good one in the junk yard as it's a 2000, so I would like to see where folks find these parts at from say an aftermarket company. Please advise where to look, recommendations on parts company?

Sometimes I use Green Sales Company in Cincinnati as they buy liquidation parts from Ford dealers. But it's Sunday and they are closed.

Also, if someone can say how this fuel line connects to the line from tank it would help me too. That is I see the connector yet never took one apart, please advise on that.

Thanks in advance

20231015_133011.jpg

20231015_132822.jpg

20231013_120653.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There about Six or more Companies who manufacturer fuel line components.
I used this manufacturer. See pictures.
The fuel line is nylon, which needs to Be inserted in to a heat shield( in kit).
Dorman makes a similar kit, also jeg, summit,etc.

IMG_20231015_175205_burst_01.jpg

IMG_20231015_175245.jpg

IMG_20231015_175253.jpg

IMG_20231015_175314.jpg

IMG_20231015_175348.jpg

IMG_20231015_175408.jpg

There are other companies that offer stainless steel lines that you can uses for fuel lines. My fuel lines where fine because they are stainless steel. My vapor line needed replacement.

I may have one of these we have a few sohc engines here
Your 2000 uses returnless fuel 98-01 sohc fuel rail bits from ranger or explorer should fit you will need the whole rail and 6 sets of injector o rings and 6 new injector seats

I may have one of these we have a few sohc engines here
Your 2000 uses returnless fuel 98-01 sohc fuel rail bits from ranger or explorer should fit you will need the whole rail and 6 sets of injector o rings and 6 new injector seats

Thanks 410Fortune,

In checking fordpartsgiant.com based on what part number I got from the dealer, XL2Z-9E964-AD, it appears that this fuel pipe was only used on 2000 and 2001 Explorers with a 4.0 SOHC and possibly only after 1-1-2000. Mine was built in May of 2000. Proper fitment can be checked on that website by vin or year and engine, transmission, etc. I checked over the rangers for thoses years and it seems not to fit.

to check fitment
XL2Z-9E964-AD XL2Z9E964AD Genuine Ford Part

I only need that part, and having the bolts would be good. I don't need anything along the lines of the injectors/rails.

I have attached the drawing of it.

Please let me know if you may have this.

Ford XL2Z-9E964-AD Fuel Pipe (line) to injector rails.png

Ah I always forget the sohc fuel rail bolts together. The other two engines I deal with all the time the dual rail is all one piece.

Let me see if we have these parts and I will report back

it does appear that Explorer and Mountaineers for 2000 and 2001 that are 4.0 SOHC are the only ones using this. Rangers with 4.0 SOHC do not use this part.

Well an update, I was lucky enough to find a 2001 XLT with a 4.0 sohc at a junk yard here... What a pain in the ass to get good access with a proper tool to loosen and remove the fuel lines bracket bolt behind the ac compressor. I am going to post another thread to discuss the repair and best way to get at that bolt. Thanks to all for suggestions

So FINALLY I got the bracket bolt out. I didn't feel that my standard craftsman 1/4 inch rachet was going to do it, as I ran into difficulties at the junk yard by being to big and not being able to angle it. Went down to harbor freight and pick up 3 different 1/4 rachets each having a certain feature. I will post a picture of the rachet that I ended up using to access the bolt. Now given. The only thing I had to remove really was the egr pipe which runs down the left bank to the exhaust manifold. I removed the pipe still attached to the egr valve. It's too dark now on the street so tomorrow I will attempt AGAIN to decouple this fuel line from the supply line.

Back