Need advice on Ranger purchase | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need advice on Ranger purchase

94Eddie

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Mountaineer Premier
I have been asked to give advice by a friend whose teenage daughter is looking at a 2006 Ranger with the 3.0L V6 and automatic transmission. This is her first vehicle and has earned the money to buy it herself so I am trying to make sure she won't be getting a bad one. It is a 2WD model with a lift kit that overall is in very good shape and runs and drives well. It has 147k miles on it but doesn't look it at all. Everything seems to check out on it except shifting into gear has a little resistance. The Ford dealer told them this is normal for this transmission. Is this the case? Also, any things to check on the vehicle would be helpful. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

While I’m not familiar with the later years of Rangers, I’ll offer my thoughts.
While the 3.0 is not a “bad” engine, it’s the least desirable of the three sizes offered.
I’ve always felt auto transmissions were the #1 weak link in Rangers/Explorers, and the shifting resistance you mention, and the comment that it’s normal raises flags for me. Maybe it IS normal for that trans, but seems a little shady.
It sounds like this is at a dealership, so maybe have her check into getting an extended warranty.

ive had 2 2000ish rangers that had a 3L in them that pushed the oil pan gasket out under the balancer. those where older however but still 3L. if it is a 4 door ranger, open the 2 rear doors, then shut them. once they are closed grab the bottom of the door near the rocker and give it a tug. the lower latches tend to feeze up if they are not used a lot. look under the door seems on the insides for rust, same with the rear leaf shackles.

Thanks for the info. Does the 3.0L use the 5R55 transmission?

That year should have the 5r44e.

That year should have the 5r44e.
Is th5R44e an overall reliable transmission? I know the 5R55 series are prone to failing any time after 100k miles.

Back