Need Advice on Supercharging | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Advice on Supercharging

Anyone have any experience on supercharging the 5.0L? After all the intake and exhaust work I have done and and tuned by Henson Performance (Thanks
James) my little motor still strains to push 2 plus tons down the road. I guess I should clarify that once I'm up to speed it perfoms great. The engine is strong and the truck will go faster then I care to(again thanks to James at Henson Performance for removing the speed limiter). I'm just looking for more power off the line(Damn Civics) and supercharging seems to me to be the best option. I don't want to tear into the engine (thats for another day). So I thought I would ask you all about doing this. I have been researching and can pick up an Eaton M90(rebuilt) for a decent price but the question I have is since I have the internal EGR is this an option? I have seen the one (weiand?) on explorerexpress and it wont work with the internal EGR and there is no way I could afford the $3800.00 anyway. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought of something which might handle the wiper reservoirs, but it would be some work. The old 91-94's have two WW pumps, do the 95-97's also?

The 98 up models have one reservoir and one pump, two outlets. You might be able to use a similar design and use the rear reservoir only. That would mean doing something with the rear pump, like using the 98+ pump back there. Plus the plastic fluid line would have to be run inside, plus wiring it up like the 98+ trucks etc. That's a lot of work, try to avoid that.

My 96' has one reservoir and pump for the windshield (must hold about a half gallon of fluid) and a totally seperate reservoir and pump for the back window. Both are independent of one another. So I was thinking, and I havent taken any measurements yet, that I could pick up another rear reservoir for the front. It's smaller but all I need is another 1" of clearance to fit the intake. That will be with the 90 deg elbow cut down 2". That will get me close at a liitle over 19" but 18 1/2" would be perfect.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

CDW6212R,
Was wondering if you had decided on an intake spacer yet. Not sure if the part number I gave you would be applicable to your year, but like I said, the four long bolts that come with the kit are to short. Will they work? Yes, if you are ok with two threads of engagement. I stripped one and was afraid I may have broken it off in the lower intake. Luckily I didnt. Fastenal.com has what you need.

I have the internal EGR so all I needed for the 1" spacer was some vacuum hose to reach the extra distance for my PCV valve and oil filler neck.

I did get a 1/2" spacer, the seller sent the 1" spacer by mistake. I just wanted the heat isolation, not really any lower of rpm range. I am not impressed with this apparent black plastic spacer, it is supposed to be phenolic material but I doubt it.

Thanks for the Fastenal.com link, I may need an odd bolt or two from them.

I did get a 1/2" spacer, the seller sent the 1" spacer by mistake. I just wanted the heat isolation, not really any lower of rpm range. I am not impressed with this apparent black plastic spacer, it is supposed to be phenolic material but I doubt it.

Thanks for the Fastenal.com link, I may need an odd bolt or two from them.

I have never seen black phenolic. We use phenolic on our airplanes and it's always been a light brown color. I would be skeptical too.
Summit has 3/8 ,1/2 and 1" spacers, and all are real phenolic.
If this was an E-bay buy I would see if you could return it. I read about the story jtsmith had with his intake spacer melting or catching fire (it's been a while since I read that) and phenolic will take anything you can throw at it.

Here is a picture of what phenolic looks like, and trust me it isnt black.

Attachments

• dcp_0525.jpg
    dcp_0525.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 414
  • dcp_0529.jpg
    dcp_0529.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 411
  • dcp_0524.jpg
    dcp_0524.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 413

Thought I would ask for help on this again. I'm looking for a windshield washer reservoir for my 96' 5.0 that is smaller than the stock one. I need to open up some space in my engine compartment.
The stock reservoir is nice because of it's capacity but it's to big for my mods so I was looking for a smaller one that will fit my stock pump.
Any ideas on what vehicles might have one?

I would look at the two pumps that you have, and see if it may be possible to mount the front pump in the back. I didn't look at mine very hard, I discarded my 93 rear parts I think. The front pump did not look special, to feed both front and back. There is a tee on the outlet of it, it may be part of the pump.

Thanks for the comment about Jon and a spacer. I'll ask him if what he had is this same thing.

I would look at the two pumps that you have, and see if it may be possible to mount the front pump in the back. I didn't look at mine very hard, I discarded my 93 rear parts I think. The front pump did not look special, to feed both front and back. There is a tee on the outlet of it, it may be part of the pump.

Thanks for the comment about Jon and a spacer. I'll ask him if what he had is this same thing.

Being new to this forum and Explorers in general I have a huge learning curve to overcome. Those on here that have owned, maintained and modified their trucks, for far longer than I've had mine, and share that info is what has got me this far on my project. But I am not done yet so I keep asking lots of questions. I would like to contribute my input too. I just dont have much experience to share that would be of much benefit yet. Nothing I have done or am doing to my truck hasnt already been done by others here.

Anyway, I was looking at the reservoir for the back window and comparing it to the front one. It is smaller in size but really not any narrower than the front one. Without the front reservoir in place the intake will easily fit. And this time of year I dont really need the front one. That is something I can work on once everything is installed.

Being elite, I like posting pictures so here is a couple more.

The first pic is no surprise, The coolant and windshield reservoirs.
The second pic is the reservoir for the back window and the third pic is the coolant reservoir that came with the Powerdyne kit and tucks up next to the fan shroud on the passenger side.

Attachments

• dcp_0649.jpg
    dcp_0649.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 390
  • dcp_0644.jpg
    dcp_0644.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 378
  • dcp_0653.jpg
    dcp_0653.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 385

I'm currently not running with a catch tank. I need to get one but mine looked just like the one's you posted. I think I'll be running a round aluminum tank soon. You can get these of ebay in a bunch of sizes. This might be something to look at.

Came across this site a while back.
http://www.928motorsports.com/services/rebuild.html
Yeah its a Porsche site but lots of good stuff available for the Powerdyne's.
Obviously, I am not at a point where I need any of this, but it's good to know it's available. If anyone knows of site that offers similar products/services please chime in. I'm not that knowledgeable about the BD-11A (though it hasnt been for lack of trying) but obviously reliablility and higher performance potential always peaks my interest.

I'm currently not running with a catch tank. I need to get one but mine looked just like the one's you posted. I think I'll be running a round aluminum tank soon. You can get these of ebay in a bunch of sizes. This might be something to look at.

Are you talking about the coolant tank that came with the kit? I think it will fit with my application. It's the windshield reservoir tank that a little large for my intake setup.

I was trying to find one smaller off some other type of vehicle. I have a hard time navigating E-bay sometimes. I probably put in the wrong search words or something.

Most of the wrecking yards around here dont allow you to go roaming through their lots. They either strip the cars and warehouse the parts or you tell them what you need and they pull the part for you. It would be nice if I could roam around one of the yards, look under the hoods and find a suitable tank that will work for me.

Came across this for the Powerdyne (belt driven) superchargers.

Selecting Pulleys for your Powerdyne Supercharger

"What is the smallest pulley I can run on my BD-10, 11, 11a?"

A gear-driven supercharger (like the Vortec of Powerdyne XB1A) can run performance pulleys all the way down to our 2.25" pulley. But the belt-driven BD-series cannot.

How small of a pulley you can use on your BD-series on it depends on your shift point, whether you have an automatic or a manual transmission, and on the size of your crankshaft pulley.

Those BD (Belt Drive) series superchargers like to run the impellers at 36,000 RPM internally, and will accept intermittent peaks of 40,000 RPM. They have a 3-to-1 step-up ratio internally from the supercharger drive pulley to the driven (impeller) pulley.

EXAMPLE: A Powerdyne BD Supercharger is equipped with a 3" pulley and mounted on a motor that has a 6" crankshaft pulley. If that engine shows 6000 RPM on the tach, the supercharger drive pulley is spinning at twice that, or 12,000 RPM (because the 3" pulley turns 2x for each 1x of the 6"pulley). Within the Powerdyne, because the drive pulley is spinning at 12,000 RPM, the driven pulley (and the impeller attached to it) is spinning at 36,000 RPM.

Here is the equation:

(Engine Redline or Shift Point) x (Crankshaft Pulley Diameter "A") divided by (Supercharger pulley diameter "B") x 3 = Impeller Speed "D"

Plug the numbers in from your car and you'll know what is the smallest supercharger pulley you can run on your Powerdyne without sacrificing reliability.

Target 36,000 RPM at the Impeller if you want a long life from your Powerdyne and 40,000 RPM if you want more performance (and more frequent rebuilds).

Based on my setup ( and these are not firm numbers) I have a 6.5" crank pulley and 3" supercharger pulley with a 5300 RPM redline. Using the equation this would be a 34,450 RPM Impeller speed. If in the future if I wanted more than 6lbs of boost, I could go with a 2.87" supercharger pulley that would put the Impeller speed at 36,010 RPM. Right at the "Target" RPM.

This of course is not something I am considering anytime soon. The 2.87" pulley is rated at 10lbs boost but that is at 6000 RPM. Much higher than I will be at. So maybe 8lbs on my truck? I dont know.

I will see how 6lbs performs. Then go from there. I dont want to stress the truck to hard since I drive it daily. Just a thought.

WoW!
I just noticed I broke in to the triple digits for posts. Probably 99% are questions and advice I have asked the forum members for. Maybe at some point I can actually contribute my own experiences and help someone out. Man, I lead an exciting life!:)

Very good research. Are you sure about the 6.5" crank size, I thought that I had measured it being smaller?

Very good research. Are you sure about the 6.5" crank size, I thought that I had measured it being smaller?

The blower pulley (the larger one) is approximately 6.5" to the top of the belt grooves. The inside (smaller pulley) measures 6". This is the one that drives the accessories. Is that what you may have been thinking of? I have not measured the stock one currently on the truck. I would hope it's the same size so everything runs at the factory speed.

These are again approximates since I dont have a tool for real accurate numbers, just my trusty Stanley tape measure.

Here is a couple pics.

Oh, and the site I got my information said 1 lb of boost is "roughly" equivilant to 20 HP, with a well tuned engine. Does that sound reasonable? Again this came off a Porsche website, but it is still the same supercharger I have.

Maybe I'm comparing apples and oranges.

Attachments

• dcp_0655.jpg
    dcp_0655.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 380
  • dcp_0657.jpg
    dcp_0657.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 379

Oh sorry, I forgot that you had a bolt on pulley just for the supercharger. That is good, you want a larger pulley than the stock diameter.

Yeah, I was talking bout the coolant overflow tank. I finally decided to go with these...
Power steering just because they had them for the x. #77-232 http://www.cantonracing.com/tanks/power_steering.html

And a universal coolant tank. #80-200
http://www.cantonracing.com/tanks/expansion_tanks.html

Expensive but oh well...what's another 200 dollars anyways..:eek:

First, I responded to your previous post thinking you had a supercharger. Sorry, my oversight.

Those are some fancy tanks. And your right, kind of spendy. A little to pricey for me and I really only need a windshield washer fluid tank. Nothing fancy, just smaller and /or narrower than the stock one.

Like I mentioned, the stock coolant tank goes away. The tank that came with my Powerdyne kit "should" fit up next to the radiator fan shroud on the passenger side.(at least according to the instructions)

Because of the larger MAF, Air fliter and tubing I cant come up with a way to make it fit with the wiper reservoir there. All I need is about one more inch to make it clear. So I may just remove it for now and figure out someting else that will work later. Not really much room to relocate things in the engine compartment as I am sure you are fully aware. A small tank off a small car would be the ticket I think.

Then again moving the battery to a vented box in the back would sure free up alot of room. But I have'nt even begun to research that yet. Hmmm....

nope, i'm turbo but I've always liked the sound of a supercharger like your doing. I'm waiting to hear this baby start up.

All I need is about one more inch to make it clear.
What do you think about using a heat gun to warm and reshape the factory washer reservoir?

There you go, good thinking Bob. I have an extra reservoir if you bugger that one up.

Back