Need Advice on Supercharging | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Advice on Supercharging

Anyone have any experience on supercharging the 5.0L? After all the intake and exhaust work I have done and and tuned by Henson Performance (Thanks
James) my little motor still strains to push 2 plus tons down the road. I guess I should clarify that once I'm up to speed it perfoms great. The engine is strong and the truck will go faster then I care to(again thanks to James at Henson Performance for removing the speed limiter). I'm just looking for more power off the line(Damn Civics) and supercharging seems to me to be the best option. I don't want to tear into the engine (thats for another day). So I thought I would ask you all about doing this. I have been researching and can pick up an Eaton M90(rebuilt) for a decent price but the question I have is since I have the internal EGR is this an option? I have seen the one (weiand?) on explorerexpress and it wont work with the internal EGR and there is no way I could afford the $3800.00 anyway. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The next step would be torque monster headers unless you have them. if you want power off the line a roots supercharger like explorer express would work best.

Already have the Torque Monster headers,new cats,Flowmaster 40 series muffler (dual 2.5 in/single 2.5 out),MAC CAI and 1" phenolic intake spacer otherwise engine is stock but very good compression. It runs great and sounds mean but it's bark is worse than it's bite and even though this is my daily driver I dont want a drag car (if I did my first choice would not be an explorer). My seat of the pants dyno just tells me that since I did all my mods I lost some low end torque. And yes I am looking for a roots type supercharger (centrifugal maybe) but 2 grand is more then my wife, aka THE BOSS, will let me spend.

And yes I am looking for a roots type supercharger (centrifugal maybe) but 2 grand is more then my wife, aka THE BOSS, will let me spend.

The unfortunate truth is that you will not be able to do it for less than 2 grand. In all honesty you will be hard pressed to do the project for less than 3 grand and that is still assuming your getting used parts rather than buying new.

Your next best bet might be to go with nitrous. It is inexpensive enough for you to afford and will produce big power gains. Nitrous is for some people but not for all though. It still seems to be your most viable option considering your low budget.

I was thinking of the 4X4 conversion, but Im so used to flooring it off the line with AWD, might be hard to get used to especially in the rain :D

If you pick up a 1.5L kenne bell for ~$1800, you can do for just a touch over $2000 complete, some fab needed and will spend ~$200 to shorten the drive extension to line up with explorer pulleys. Will be limited to 5-6psi, without injectors, tune, etc..

Better budget would be ~$3K.

Could do a budget Eaton, but new ground and without an intercooler, roots blowers are very limited. Twin screw (whipple / Kenne bell) can go higher due to less heat in compression of air.

I paid $2600 for my Ford Racing kit, another $200 for a MaFia MAF extender, another $200 for the SCT tuner, another $300 for wideband A/f gauge,yet another $300 for a fuel gauge and a mere $60 for a boost gauge...Supercharging is not cheap, but it does make it fun to drive.

Any information on whipple chargers?

What are you looking for? A good read is "Supercharged" by Corky Bell. Available at Borders, Barnes & Nobel, and the such.

Hello Todd, and did you know that the 94/95 Mustang front dress has very similar locations as the Explorer? The front to back is the same, and I have an under drive pulley set coming to get the 94/95 crank pulley. It may be possible to use/fabricate the 94/95 front dress and bolt on a Mustang supercharger kit. I have a 94 Gt wrecked to look at, the parts look reasonably similar. Regards,

so how easily would it be to bolt on a stang blower to a GT40P 5.0?

The 94/95 has many kits available, I've seen them sell for $2000 give or take a few hundred.

How much modification would they take to run on a GT40P 5.0L?
Would special tuning be necessary?
Would it be safe on a 106k 5.0L?

My post above about the Mustang front dress was the key, the hold up. Making those front dress parts fit in an Explorer would be the hardest part. If that could be done, the rest would almost be easy(master cylinder clearance etc.)

I only casually looked at my wrecked 94 engine. The accessories are mounted a little higher in the Explorer. There may or may not be room to fit the lower front dress into an Explorer. I noticed that under the Explorer AC compressor is a brake line. There may be room on that side with the brake line moved somehow. There may be many things to change, but it would take a good bit of research/work/test fitting. The alternators, power steering pumps and AC compressors are different. Different wiring and custom made lines would surely be needed.

I didn't mean to open a big can of worms, Todd would know what I was hinting at. He fabricated the parts needed to adapt a Mustang kit onto his Explorer 302.

How much modification would they take to run on a GT40P 5.0L?
Would special tuning be necessary?
Would it be safe on a 106k 5.0L?

If you were to adapt a Mustang kit onto the Explorer a centrifugal kit would be the easier one to do it with. A supercharger like the Whipple would be more difficult due to the parts required to relocate items necessary.

With any type of supercharged vehicle custom tuning is mandatory.

How safe it will be on your vehicle all depends on how well it was maintained. If it was well maintained and runs very strong without any problems or hiccups then it is probably a good candidate. If you are having any problems with the engine, transmission, or rear end then I suggest you get those taken care of first and then think about modding for power.

Whether adapting a Mustang blower to your truck is a doable project for you all depends on how much you know about engines and wrenching as well as how comfortable you feel with tinkering with things to get them to work. With any kind of custom job there will be real easy parts and also real difficult parts too. Be prepared for the difficult parts if you decide to do this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wish I could find a used 5.0L Explorer S/C.. lol...

Back