Need advice regarding next steps on my 20 Explorer Hybrid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need advice regarding next steps on my 20 Explorer Hybrid

Lolo32

Reaction score
City, State
Arnold
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Hybrid Limi
Hi! I've searched the buyback posts and while Ive seen great info, I am hoping someone can pffer suggestions for my specific situation.

Bought a 20 Hybrid Explorer Limited AWD March 3. Less than 3k miles on it, ford certified.

Has the RES system and they knew it needed some work on something, so told us to take it, and bring it back when they got the parts in. Also couldn't ever get FordPass to work, ford chat support said it needed a new module so they were going to troubleshoot that too.

Parts of course took a lot longer than they said, but in the meantime, also discovered that the ambiant lighting on the passenger side wasnt working, so they added that to the list as well.

Brought into the shop April 8th. Havent had it since. To the best of my understanding, repairs upon repairs, causing more problems, creating new issues, etc.
Gone through at least 2 BCMs, Ford Service Engineers have been out 2 or 3 times, Ford said it was all software related, downloaded new software-turned out to be corrupt files, new software again, thought it was fixed but now the TCU is needing to be replaced, etc.

Dealer service advisor started the process with Ford to cover some of our payments (apparently ford won't discuss this until after the repairs are complete????) and bc its certified-we have been in a rental this whole time, actually 4 different rentals because I have to trade them out every 1200ish miles. I appreciate the rental but I'm 9mos pregnant and due in 2 weeks, having to trade in rentals every couple of weeks is not helpful right now.

I asked the service advisor at what point we start talking about what other options we have, because repairs dont seem to be a reality. Since it was technically used he didnt know about buybacks, lemon, etc, but put us in touch with the guy from the dealership who sold it to us. As a 'gesture of good will,' the dealership is willing to buy it back for what we paid for it, and they want to sell us a different explorer. We looked at it yesterday, but were astonished by the lack of customer service- this car is $2k cheaper sticker price but we'd be getting only $87 back. They would be charging us the $500 administration fee AGAIN, refused to discuss the $650 we paid in interest so far, and wouldn't even "throw in" the 2nd key for the new one (it only had 1).

So- if we DID go ahead and sell back to them, at this point we dont want to buy anything else from them, so need to make sure they will still work with that then. But if we still wanted to discuss with ford to cover some of the payments and/or interest, will that be nullified if we do the sale back?

Is there an option for me to go straight to ford and just start asking about buyback options and bypass the dealership? Seems like ford might be more accommodation with this stupid headache in the long run, even if it does take longer?

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would contact your zone representative and see what they can do for you.

Check this out. Remedies for a Defective Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle
I wonder if it was originally a buyback considering all the issues with it?

Peter

Thank you!!!

Based on what I'm seeing in so many posts, I've wondered that. I DID ask before purchasing, because I almost bought 1 at a different dealership before that-and was told up front that it was one- but they assured me this was not forthanj you!! sure (lol, and I believed them of course haha)
The autocheck didnt show buyback but I guess maybe theres a chance it was an error. But I def wonder.

So disappointed at the lack of customer service from the dealership sales side that I really dont want to buy anything else from them, so I guess at this point its a game of more waiting (over 3mos in the shop so far), determining if the dealer will buy the car back without us purchasing something else, or taking our chances of bringing a buyback request to Ford. Just dont know the implications of it being 'used,' although with it being certified I would think the obligation wouls still be there.....

Best wishes on the upcoming birth of your child. Not sure where you reside, but I suggest you get up to speed on the consumer rights afforded you in your state. This will help you understand what the dealer / manufacturer is legally obligated to do and what procedures are available to you to redress the problem. Its good to know what your rights are prior to "negotiating" with the dealer.

As Peter said, I would also suspect that the vehicle was a lemon / buyback. There have been numerous reports of new Explorer buybacks and I would be leery of any low mileage used 2020+ Explorer. As for the other one the dealer wants to sell you, I would question its status as well and wonder why it only has one key fob. But then, I tend to not trust anyone :).

Best wishes on the upcoming birth of your child. Not sure where you reside, but I suggest you get up to speed on the consumer rights afforded you in your state. This will help you understand what the dealer / manufacturer is legally obligated to do and what procedures are available to you to redress the problem. Its good to know what your rights are prior to "negotiating" with the dealer.

As Peter said, I would also suspect that the vehicle was a lemon / buyback. There have been numerous reports of new Explorer buybacks and I would be leery of any low mileage used 2020+ Explorer. As for the other one the dealer wants to sell you, I would question its status as well and wonder why it only has one key fob. But then, I tend to not trust anyone :).
According to her profile, she is in Arnold which I believe is in Missouri.

Peter

According to her profile, she is in Arnold which I believe is in Missouri.

Peter
Yep correct! Just outside of St Louis, MO. I did some searching this morning already, so working on gathering up as much info as I can in that regard. Definitely also wishing it had clicked prior to buying that the low miles wasnt a 'lucky find' byt a problem child :( :( in hindsight it DEF makes sense.

Back