Need advice! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lambough

Reaction score
City, State
Tallahassee, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hello everyone. I have a 2007 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer edition. I bought this used 3 years ago and have had nothing but trouble. First I had to replace the engine, then have the transmission rebuilt. Yesterday I took it in to have the EGR valve replaced and they called me an hour later stating they wouldn’t touch it because the insulation on the wiring was cracked and brittle. On top of that they said I have a crack in my radiator and a fuel rail sensor issue. The thing drives great though! It does lose coolant so I know there’s an issue with the radiator but as long as I keep an eye on the coolant level it drives like a champ. With that being said I’m starting to question the mechanic I took it to..he quoted $650 for the radiator which I just had quoted by someone else for $300. But my real question is, has anyone else experienced problems with their wiring being brittle or was this some bullshit he’s trying to sell me on (stating Ford recommends a new wiring harness)? I’m kinda leaning to letting a guy I know who builds race cars from the ground up do the repairs on the radiator and egr valve and hope that this other mechanic was BS. Any advice? My other option is to sell it immediately and quit pooring thousands into a vehicle I paid 6k for.

Brittle wiring has been an issue with 2006-2008 Explorers and Mountaineers. People with these type of problems typically track down the specific wires causing the problem before globally replacing the wiring harness. As for the radiator, a lower price isn't always good if they are installing a cheap radiator that will fail in a couple of years. At $650 it might not be a bad price if he is installing a Ford OEM radiator or a good all aluminum radiator.

Is this a V6 model or a V8 and how many miles are on it?

Back