[Need Advise] replace lower control arms by myself(newbie) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

[Need Advise] replace lower control arms by myself(newbie)

xz96

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 explorer sports 2wd
Mechanic told me both front lower control arms are bad, including ball joints and need replacement.

i have a 2wd 2dr 99 ex

He charges $720, including parts, labor and alignment. is it a fair price?if not, what price should i be looking for?

how many hours does it usually take to replace two lower control arms and balljoints?

I'm also considering do it myself.
I'm on budget and trying to save every penny. I've never done any car repair before...I just learned how to change tires and how to check engine oils.

1. I don't have a garage to work on my truck, my apartment has rules against it. (my plan is to do it in parking lot outside auto parts store)

2. I don't have any tools, not even a jack stand...(my plan is to rent all the tools from auto parts store)

3. I have no idea how to do it.
I'm willing to learn, but how hard is it going to be for a newbie like me?
I don't have a second vehicle nor do my friends, so I don't want to stuck or break anything in the middle of the repair.
Is it going to be those jobs that can be easily done following youtube tutorial or forum posts?
I checked the "how to"thread but only found lower balljoints and upper control arm replacement...I couldn't find lower control arms tutorials (i found one for 3nd gen ex though, don't know if it's same)

And for the parts, I heard that MOOG make good suspension parts,
I did some research and found these on amazon:
1.Moog CK620319
http://www.amazon.com/Moog-CK620319...&qid=1405389049&sr=8-1&keywords=MOOG-CK620319

2.Moog RK620320
http://www.amazon.com/Moog-RK620320...&qid=1405389032&sr=8-1&keywords=MOOG-RK620320

total is around $200

if I need to replace both lower front control arms and ball joints, the only parts I need to buy are these two, right?

Another option would be to hire an individual mechanic from cragslist which is going to be cheaper than repair shop, but there's no guarentee he will do an honest or quality job...so if i'm able to do it by myself, I'd rather save the money and trust my own hand.

Once again, Thanks for all the help I got from this great forum!:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are the control arms bent or rotted? If not just have the ball joints replaced.

I would not try doing it in the store parking lot I doubt you need lower arms as jremington is asking just ball joints. If you've never done it before its not a good idea. They are pressed in. and the whole knuckle has to come off its not an easy job for a beginner.

Are the control arms bent or rotted? If not just have the ball joints replaced.

i only knew the bushing's loose, the repair shop said the control arm need replace as well.

Replacing lower control arms is definitely not a job for a beginner. Besides requiring special tools, it can be very dangerous if
not done correctly. Looking at your previous posts, I applaud your enthusiasm, but this job is best left for the experienced.

I would hire a friend or mechanic from craigslist. I would watch previously some youtube videos to familiarize myself and then watch the guy do it, to make sure what is doing is all right.
You can ask to lend a hand - like removing the tire, jacking the vehicle up... so you get used to the work around the car.
It won't be the last repair that your car needs, and you will get used to what is required and what tools you need... possibly saving money in future jobs.

As for the job at hand... it is recommended to replace the whole arm because the arm bushings are probably shot too if the ball joint is. They have the same age.
Unfortunately, that require alignment to be done - that's like $100. Parts $200... Plus labor.

without tools i would not suggest you attempt this repair yourself. as stated, you may not need the complete lower arm, but even replacing the ball joints requires quite a few hand tools and some experience would be helpful.

while most auto parts stores lend special tools, most will not lend hand tools, jacks or safety stands. they also don't like you working in their parking lots.

That is a burly job, find some place with a better price. $500 is more in line. And as far as I know, factory LCAs are not serviceable and must be replaced.

I've seen a rise in garages wanting to replace the entire lower control arm instead of just the ball joint. I even had Auto Zone trying to talk me into buying the lower control arm with the ball joint already in but it looked like as much work to me as replacing just the ball joint. The ball joints are 50 and if someone can't live on 350 labor for a days work I'd find someone that could. 400 is a fair price.

I couldn't agree more we are in the throw away generation nothing gets rebuilt just thrown away and buy new. Even most of your old fixes have been replaced with "upgraded" parts so you cant replace the regulator you need the whole alternator etc etc. I seriously doubt this gentleman needs lower control arms. Maybe get a second opinion! You just might save some $$$

I've seen a rise in garages wanting to replace the entire lower control arm instead of just the ball joint. I even had Auto Zone trying to talk me into buying the lower control arm with the ball joint already in but it looked like as much work to me as replacing just the ball joint. The ball joints are 50 and if someone can't live on 350 labor for a days work I'd find someone that could. 400 is a fair price.

they say it's cheaper because of less labor

Back