• Register Today It's free!

Need Amp Upgrade!

GooseR

Reaction score
City, State
Va Beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
ok, right now i have a 15'' solobaric L7(2003) rated at 2000w max, 1000w rms.. and its a 4ohm sub. and i have a Lanzar 2000w class D amp. i want to upgrade it b/c i feel like its not pushing the Sub to its potential. i went to have Db reading, and it hit nice, but i had a nice lil burning smell coming from the box, and the owner of the shop said it was b.c the sub WASNT getting Enough power from the amp. so i installed a Cap, and i still get the smell, i want the perfect amp for it, but i want it to be no more than 400$. i was looking at the Power Acoustik 2400w class D amp...the amp is rated 900watts RMS @ 4ohm,1400 watts RMS @2ohm and 1800watts RMS at 1ohm(which i cant do) and 2400 watts Max. would this be good..the guy at the shop said that these could handle some serious power and i wouldnt be cranking the Sub until the Bass off's come around... is this amp good for it?thanks./

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your first problem is the amp is a lanzar - thats not a good brand, if I'm looking at the right amp it is really doing only 500 watts at 4 ohms (and that is over rated). I'm also not a fan of power acoustic.

I'd look at a 2 channel amp and bridge it. here are a couple worth looking at, some are out of your budget but they will work well and all of them will do more then there rated power.

Fosgate 1050S - 1000 watts at 4 omhs - $500
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=12461

Kicker 04kx850.2 - 850 watts at 4 omhs - $440
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13892

MTX thunder 942 - 940 watts at 4 omhs - $390
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13288

thanks.... well what about the MA audio, HK1997 which is 1 x 1200W RMS @ 2 Ohm Mono
??

Umm that burning smell wouldn't be from not getting enough power..... Isn't that sub a dvc model? so dual 4's?

The hk1997 would be aight... I've been able to run it at 1 ohm as well, held up fine... Good for the $$$ but if you have a bit more cash I'd look into a nice class d/x amp, what about a rockford bd series amp? bd1500?

Is this a dual 4 ohm sub (I think it has to be since aren't all L7 dual voice coil), if it is then my earlier amp suggestions won't work.

Please in the future post exactly what you have (dual or single voice coil and what voice coils they are - 2 or 4 ohms each) and the RMS rating for your amp at the rating you have it wired for.

Cartman said:
Please in the future post exactly what you have (dual or single voice coil and what voice coils they are - 2 or 4 ohms each) and the RMS rating for your amp at the rating you have it wired for.

Is i said befire, "ok, right now i have a 15'' solobaric L7(2003) rated at 2000w max, 1000w rms.. and its a 4ohm sub."..... all of them are DVC's.. i am running it in parallel, so its running 2 ohm.... the RMS rating for my amp how i have it wired is like 900 or 1200, i cant remember...

Cartman said:
Your first problem is the amp is a lanzar - thats not a good brand, if I'm looking at the right amp it is really doing only 500 watts at 4 ohms (and that is over rated). I'm also not a fan of power acoustic.
]

Lanzar used to be a good brand till Power Accoustic bought them out.. If you can find some of the old Opti-drive grey Lanzars .. Them things put out some serious power.. Of course they also require a lot of voltage unlike the new class D amps..

For $400 I would check Ebay.. I got my Kicker 1200.1 for less than that. also there are plenty of quality amps out there... You should be able to find one of the Viper 2500.1 on there for around that price.. Those things have tons of power that you will more than likely need to get more subs just to realize its full potential..

Back