• Register Today It's free!

Need an alternate amp

chente

Reaction score
City, State
vista, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLS
Hey guys, well this is my situation: I am working on getting a JL 12" W7 and an amp to power it... Ideally I would buy the W7 and the 1000/1 amp but the price of that would be horrendous:eek: I would just like to know what would be a great quality amp with similar power and features with a more affordable price tag. I know that jl amp pushes some good clean power to the W7 and it makes it thump loud and hard which is what I want but I don't think I'm willing to put up $600 for the sub and another $1000 for the amp. just can't afford it:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rockford power amps are nice check out sound domain and ike sound for prices really fair for the power

Yeah I saw the rockford amps it's just that I've heard ALOT of bad things about them and that is what is pushing me away from those...

I have the memphis 1000D and love it. It does 1100 watts rms and can be found on ebay for around $300.

mtx 942- $350

mtx 801D- $300

those are with factory warranties- not ebay

either will work- there is no magic about jl's amplifiers, they aren't even as good as quite a few other manufacturers. Don't listen to their propaganda telling you to run only their amp or suffer consequences (every manufacturer says the same thing)

Don't worry I'm not going with what the JL manufacturers are telling me... I just want my sub to sound and bump as nicely (or better) as it does with the 1000/1. I heard one hooked up and it sure did sound good. What do you think of the TRU amps?

the tru amps are good

i just remembered also that a friend of mine is selling a 500/1 jl right now too (although its prob not what you want it would push your sub)

you just want to get an amp that will give 800-1000 rms from virtually any manufacturer most will power it great, but the thing to look out for is the other features. You may need an internal crossover in the amp, or pass thru for rca's etc. and you may find that the cheaper ones don't have some features you are going to be using and it would cost more to add them externally than to buy a more expensive amp.

hmm a 500/1. Somewhere here I read that it is not a good amp for that sub. Also wouldn't I be underpowering it and risking damage to the sub. How much? lol I got alot of q's

the only way underpowering can blow a sub is if you drive the amp into clipping- try to get more out of the amp than it can give you distortion free. Honestly a 500 watt amp will power a w7 real well and quake pretty dang good.

i do recommend getting the money together and getting a bigger amp though.

my only other question is- why does it have to be a w7? it sounds like you might be forced to make compromises with other things in order to be able to afford it, and there are tons of other great subs out there for a little cheaper (some of which are just as good).

just make sure you budget the $$ for getting enough current to the amps, and for properly upgrading the signal path etc. you'll be better off with a cheaper sub and amp that is getting good current and a good signal than a w7 and 1000/1 that is taxing your charging system and getting a fuzzy signal

Well actually I was thinking of saving myself some cash by buying a 12" x.. from RE but I guess I'm a little hesitant about something I just have never heard before. I mean alot of good things are said about them and they look awesome but I don't want to be dissapointed. I know what the W7 sounds like I just want to make sure I power it properly.

sounds like u need some big 15s =) lol theres lots of nice nice nice 12s out there do u want it to be really really loud?

If by loud you mean do I want it to bump like crazy then the answer is yes... However all I want to run is 1 12" sub. I've alraedy put 4 infinity kappa 5x7's in the doors (which are really crisp by the way). So now I'm working on my thumpety thump thump.:D

hmm 1 12 and u want massive thump??...i have no idea what to reccomend on that the infinity 12" i played with sounded good we were running 2 but they had alot of bass so properly powered id imagine those could hit hard i dont know if they will live upto ur expectations though

theres also mtx 8000s those are a bit louder i belive the SQ might bot be as great as the infinity i had a power acoustick 12" that was 700rms to 1700max or it was 600-1600 i cant remember that subs optimal box is quite small so if u want to save space that would be a plus
the PA was very very loud and really clean it also was less then 100 bucks at best buy

Well I heard a 12 W7 in a durango (my friends) powered by a jl 1000/1 and believe me he had massive thump. Was just totally impressed. I couldn't belive it was just 1 sub doing that. Now I have no problem paying for the W7 but I have a problem paying for both the W7 and the 1000/1 cause that would get just tooo expensive. This is where i run into my dillemma. I would still have to buy a capacitor, wiring, etc... Just a little confused on what I am going to do I guess:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by rydinhigh
I have no clue on how to wire up a 3ohm svc subwoofer sorry.

well its a 3 ohm single voice coil.....what more gets wired up?? :p 3 ohms....only a w7.....

as for the sub, why overpay??? maybe check out the mtx 9500 series... expo should know about them..
Amps: Avionixx, MTX, MA Audio, RE 35.1??? so many choices why overspend on a 1000/1?

For the record I dont like JL, never will either, unless that is, if they lose their god awful prices....

Back