Need answers ASAP | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need answers ASAP

It takes an experienced mechanic anywhere from 8 to 12 hours to take it out with a motor lift. Being your first time it will be at least 12 and more.
That is not an accurate statement. Like I posted above, I pulled a engine out of a old El Camino in about an hour when I was 16. I pulled an engine/trans/transfer case out of a 1994 Explorer in about 3 hours. Both were with a hoist, and a helper, but your figures are way off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It takes an experienced mechanic anywhere from 8 to 12 hours to take it out with a motor lift. Being your first time it will be at least 12 and more.
If it takes an experienced mechanic 12 hours to pull a 5.0 in his shop he had better have ran into several issues.

I’ve never done it myself, (5.0 removal) but I’d bet that I could do it in 4-5 by myself.

In defense, he had to answer the phones, order parts,
COVER for the BOSS (doesn't know his ---- you know the rest).
Did I mention the guy with no money, a sob story a mile long
and he only wants to borrow WHAT!!!

I don't understand any of this. It's not worth much without these, so buy the whole thing and haul it home then take your time to do it right. If the motor and trans are good then you may even be able to... DRIVE it home?

It just doesn't seem like an urgent ASAP situation, except that you got fixated in doing a certain thing. I suppose I don't know the situation, whether this guy is going to let the carcass rot on his property or haul it to a junkyard for scrap value, but even that, is not much compared to having the whole vehicle yourself to deal with at your leisure.

Usually something that gets rushed, looks like a bad idea in hindsight.

Not everyone has the means to haul a vehicle several hours. And, then, you gotta store it.

Also, I’d never trust driving a junker vehicle several hours. There’s a reason it’s not currently being driven, most likely.

^ I'm not so sure about that. Many of us have an explorer that can tow 5K lbs. It weighs about 4K lbs. Rent a trailer?

4-5 hours to pull a 5.0 out of an explorer is a pipe dream, especially for someone who is asking which tools to take. Nope. Some here may be able to do this but not the first time, that is if you want to have anything usable afterward.

who is going to rent a car hauling trailer to an explorer? Not U haul!

It takes me 4 hours to pull an entire 5.0 drivetrain at the junk yard with a helper and a hack saw (hand saw)
I have pulled about 20-30 of them over the years, so I know what to expect

I would plan an entire weekend for a newb working slowly

Many people buy these trucks just to get the rear axle, wheels tires, or front seats.... heck even just the battery and the cat converters.... there are many many reasons why somebody may want to only sell the drive train and keep the rest

^ I'm not so sure about that. Many of us have an explorer that can tow 5K lbs. It weighs about 4K lbs. Rent a trailer?
Towing 5,000 pounds is a good way to smoke the trans in a v6. I’ve been there.

4-5 hours to pull a 5.0 out of an explorer is a pipe dream, especially for someone who is asking which tools to take. Nope. Some here may be able to do this but not the first time, that is if you want to have anything usable afterward.
I never said 4-5 hours for someone who isn’t a seasoned mechanic. I’m confident in the 5 hour time frame. Granted, some stuff will get cut.

Back