Need better gas milage & pickup...? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need better gas milage & pickup...?

Derek's E.B.

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Eddie Bauer
I have 96 Eddie Bauer Explorer and it has a little over 78k miles on it. I bought it three months ago and on it's test drive it read (on the digital readout screen), that I was getting 15.8 miles to the gallon on the INTERSTATE. But just about a week ago, I've been seeing that I've decreased to 13.7. That is awful. I drive a good distance each day from school to work, back home...this milage isn't good for me. Why has it decreased so much? My driving has not changed or my driving habits. What can I do to get it back up? Also (not that it was any different than when I purchased it but), my explorer has no pickup. I used to drive a sports car before purchasing this, but even after driving other explorers, mine seems to be slower. Can I do simple cheap modifations to improve accelation? Maybe intake or something along the same lines...?

Thanks, sorry it's so long...
Derek

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well there are a few things you can do.....i have my 92 X with 125k getting damn close to a consistant 17.5 miles per gallon mix of city and highway

1. Check and or change the spark plugs
2. Change Spark plug wires
2. Intake would help a bit
3. Drive in overdrive when driving 50mph or above. Use drive when driving in the city.
4. Change fuel filter
5. Use fuel injection cleaner in the gas tank. I have done this, seems to help out a little.
6. Maybe use the injection cleaner in conjunction with putting a half a tank of midgrade to high grade gas. I do this once in a while....
7. clean engine bay, i know this sounds silly. but a clean engine runs better.
8. CHANGE OIL EVERY 3000 MILES.
i'm sure others can help you out..but this is what works for me.....can't beat 17mpg on a 11 year old truck

in addition to what he said...make sure overdrive is not being used when driving under 55mph

and to get better accel try the throttle cab mod, an intake, and a catback exhaust system

if you get an exhaust
the first week you'll probably notice a drop in MPG, because you'll be messing with the sound, trying to make it get real loud....i know from experience..eheehee

Originally posted by DeagleDave
in addition to what he said...make sure overdrive is not being used when driving under 55mph

Why is this? If it is bad for the engine, then shouldn't the computer automatically prevent Overdrive from being used? Am I missing something on this?

I am routinely in 5th gear at 45 mph (unless accelerating), be it in my Ranger with the SOHC 4.0, or my Mustang with the 5.0.

unless you're maintaining that 45mph for a good distance it's not worth it. the transmission will inevitably hunt between 4-5th which is more work for the tranny. this will eventually lead to premature tranny wear and lower the gas mileage.

Tune up time.

Here's a list I made up:
1.Change oil and filter (Motorcraft Fl1A filter and possibly synthetic oil)
2.Run a whole bottle of seafoam through the engine
3.Run a whole bottle of seafoam through the gas tank
4.Replace plugs and wires (motorcraft double plat plugs and your choice of wires)
5.Clean IAC.
6.Check for vacuum leaks
7.Check for adequate fuel pressure
8.Clean MAF
9.Replace tranny fluid and filter
10.Clean throttle body, upper intake, throttle plate, and intake pipe/air filter housing with carb spray
11.Replace TPS
12.Replace Oxygen sensors (optional)
13.Replace Air filter
14.Replace fuel filter
15.Replace PCV valve
16.Throttle Cable fix

nice list jason....expensive too!

Originally posted by DeagleDave
unless you're maintaining that 45mph for a good distance it's not worth it. the transmission will inevitably hunt between 4-5th which is more work for the tranny. this will eventually lead to premature tranny wear and lower the gas mileage.

Thanks! Since mine are manuals, so I don't have to worry about gear hunting. Never had a problem with my V8 Mounty though.

Derek,
I to just recently got a 96 EB with 79k on it. I also have a 91 EB. My 91 gets 18+ in city driving while the 96 gets 15+. I have not tested it's mileage on the highway. Will be doing so this weekend. I just replaced the plugs and wires on the 96 (oh what a job) hoping that it will improve efficiency. I will next do the fuel filter and do some cleaning as listed by Jason_25.

I had no idea about NOT running OD in city traffic. That sounds like a great idea.

Funny thing, my previous thread complained about lack of acceleration in the 96. Last night coming home, I thought I was driving my 91 -ZOOM ! Maybe
it was all mental. Let's keep in touch to see what we do to improve our vehicles...

Originally posted by Jason_25
Tune up time.

Here's a list I made up:
1.Change oil and filter (Motorcraft Fl1A filter and possibly synthetic oil)
2.Run a whole bottle of seafoam through the engine
3.Run a whole bottle of seafoam through the gas tank
4.Replace plugs and wires (motorcraft double plat plugs and your choice of wires)
5.Clean IAC.
6.Check for vacuum leaks
7.Check for adequate fuel pressure
8.Clean MAF
9.Replace tranny fluid and filter
10.Clean throttle body, upper intake, throttle plate, and intake pipe/air filter housing with carb spray
11.Replace TPS
12.Replace Oxygen sensors (optional)
13.Replace Air filter
14.Replace fuel filter
15.Replace PCV valve
16.Throttle Cable fix

And dont forget the easy ones:
17. Inflate all tires to same pressure - 32PSI or as recommended by tire manufacturer.
18. Get an alignment so that wheels are running true.
19. No jackrabbit starts!!!

My 92 X routinely gets 20-25MPG Hwy in the mountains with 240K on the engine and tranny, travelling approx 70-75 MPH. I've never had it on a flat stretch of road but I'm sure I could get at least 1 or 2 MPG more if I did.

Thank you guys for all the advice! Very helpful...I'm going to start checking off the "to do list" after the weekend. What sucks is that I'm taking a road trip with 5 of my friends this weekend to go see some buddies at another college...and I got stuck driving:eek: . Deal is who ever drives, doesn't have to pay the gas bills...sucks for them! Thanks again guys, keep em' coming.

Derek

Back