Need brake line help for 1st Gen Ranger swap to '95-'97 knuckle. I'm stuck! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need brake line help for 1st Gen Ranger swap to '95-'97 knuckle. I'm stuck!

Carguy3J

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
North East New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 4dr. XLT SOHC A4WD
Ok, well I started to do the '95-'97 knuckle and brake swap to my '93 Ranger.
I have a '93 Ranger, 4x4, NO ABS, 4.0L, 5spd

The "internet" said I could use my old brake hoses, with perhaps grinding off a corner of the caliper end "block" so it would "clock" better. I think the "internet" is wrong! I'm looking at the driver side, and I see no way that the old brake line will connect to the new 2 piston caliper. It just doesn't bend the right way. In fact, it looks like the caliper end block is rotated exactly 90deg from where it would need to be. I can bend hardline, but this would require twisting it. If I try to do it with a series of bends, then it will be too short.

HELP!!!! The swap is nearly done, just waiting to hook up and bleed the brakes. I have no other working vehicle. I need this to be functioning today, as I'm running out of food and kerosene. Please someone tell me how I can make this work. I need pictures. Maybe of exactly how to go about bending the existing hardline portion of the brake hose, to make it fit. (I seem to remember reading somewhere that that would work too. I don't see how.)

Alternatively, I would appreciate a CLEAR unambigous list of EXACTLY what yr/mk/model/application of hose(s) I need. I have read all the well known threads about this swap, including this one:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325392&highlight=TTB
Unfortunately, the only picture he posted of the assembled brakes, is of the right side. Nothing of what the left should look like.

The part#'s he listed, for the front hoses, appear to be unavailable.

The only thing I find, when looking up '97 Ranger hoses, is either "4wd" (no mention of ABS or not), or 2wd with 4whl ABS, or 2wd w/ rear only ABS.

Really though, getting parts at this point would be extremely difficult. I need to know how to make this work with the old '93 hoses.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

.. Hopefully ScottB. Will see this...

I think he recently did this swap to his 93 Ranger...

..and the 95-97 4wd are 4 wheel abs..;)

.. Hopefully ScottB. Will see this...

I think he recently did this swap to his 93 Ranger...

..and the 95-97 4wd are 4 wheel abs..;)

So, do I want 2wd, no ABS hoses? I know I need the "t-block" on the frame end of the left hose.

I just looked at the right side, and that one won't fit the new caliper either.

.....FML......:mad:

Scott could actually answer that question for you..:D

I'm on the road with my phone so I'm limited on information access right now..

I found a thread where he (Scott B.) detailed his swap. It looks like he is using aftermarket braided stainless lines, so that won't really help me.

Anybody else know how to make the original '93 hoses work, with the '97 calipers?

If you contact Scott I a m sure he could tell you what will and wont work ..;)

He is usually just a pm away and hopefully the info will get shared in this thread...

If you contact Scott I a m sure he could tell you what will and wont work ..;)

He is usually just a pm away and hopefully the info will get shared in this thread...

I already sent him a PM. Just waiting for a reply. Thanks.
I'm going to be posting some photos of the problem, as soon as I get them transferred from my phone.

Cool...I called him and he's at work but will check in this thread later so your stock parts pictures will help..;)

Right Front

IMAG1061.jpg

IMAG1062.jpg

IMAG1063.jpg

IMAG1064.jpg

Left Front

IMAG1069.jpg

IMAG1065.jpg

IMAG1066.jpg

IMAG1067.jpg

After a quick search on therangerstation,,they say to use a 97 non abs drivers side flex hose.Hope that helps.

After a quick search on therangerstation,,they say to use a 97 non abs drivers side flex hose.Hope that helps.

No. That doesn't help. I've read that thread/article many times. Much like the one I referenced here, by TedJ, the actual hose needed is very confusing, with the way it was written/explained. I have a '93 4X4. My RF hose has the T-Block built into it. A '97 Ranger 4x4 RF hose also has the T-block, BUT apparently all '97 4x4's HAVE ABS. There is a 2wd Non-ABS hose listed, but that does NOT have the required T-Block. Further the RF 4x4 hose is apparently a '97 Ranger only part, and is therefor a special order item. Nobody bothers to stock a 1 year only part.

With all the time in the world, this would be easy to solve. A brass t-block separate from the hose, could be used. Then, any number of off the shelf, easy to get, flexible rubber hoses could be used; either with a small section of hardline, or not. However, that is not my current circumstance.

I do not have the ability to go get more parts, as I have no other transportation at the present time. My car has not had fuel lines in it for months, due to the winter stopping me from working on it. Normally, I try to make sure I only have one vehicle disabled at a time. However, the front wheel bearings, and ball joints, on the Ranger, just weren't going to go any further. I thought this would be a straight forward, blot-in swap, with no "surprises". I THOUGHT I had all the parts I needed. Apparently not! Now, I am screwed.

On that note........ I THINK I managed to get the right front to work. I will be posting pictures and details shortly. The cold and 30mph winds put an end to my day at this point, so I will have to see what I can figure out with the left front tomorrow. Hopefully the local shop can squeeze me in for an alignment, assuming I get this brake issue fixed.

How to make the stock '93 hose work - RIGHT FRONT

IMAG1070.jpg
IMAG1071.jpg

IMAG1072.jpg

IMAG1075_bend_notes.jpg

IMAG1076.jpg

I agree that info is a little confusing,sorry I could'nt help.BTW there are 97 non abs rangers and B's, I had one.

Right Front - Stock '93 hose on '97 caliper

IMAG1075.jpg

IMAG1077.jpg

IMAG1074.jpg

IMAG1073.jpg

Unfortunately, I do not have the answer for you. :(

I have not used stock brake hoses for 15 years.

Logically/logistically, a '95 - '97 brake hose should be what you need. I was surprised when you said it wouldn't work.

Are the hoses different for the trucks with ABS? I have never researched this, but I'd think they are the same.

Sorry I couldn't be any more help.

Unfortunately, I do not have the answer for you. :(

I have not used stock brake hoses for 15 years.

Logically/logistically, a '95 - '97 brake hose should be what you need. I was surprised when you said it wouldn't work.

Are the hoses different for the trucks with ABS? I have never researched this, but I'd think they are the same.

Sorry I couldn't be any more help.
I don't have/ didn't try a '95-'97 hose. I have a '93 Ranger, and I'm trying to use the stock '93 hoses, with the '97 2-piston calipers.

Yes, the '95-'97 trucks have 3 different hose "arrangements (I think its 3) 1.) and 2.) are 2wd w/ and w/o ABS, and 3.) is 4x4- which I'm told are all ABS. I'm confused at this point as to which is what, but some will have the T-block built into the left front hose, whereas others do not. The shape/bends/length are apparently also very different from the stock '93 hoses, as the calipers are in slightly different positions, relative to the frame, between the '93 and '97. The biggest issue is that the '93 split-pin caliper has the banjo bolt on the inner side of the caliper, whereas the '97 floating-style caliper has the banjo bolt on the inner top surface. As I described earlier, and you should be able to make out from the pics, the caliper end of the hose is rotated 90 degrees between the 2 caliper type (1 is "vertical" the other is "horizontal").

Also, looking at the pics I posted above, with my modified right front hose, does that look like it will be ok? In the pis, the truck is essentially at normal ride height, as the jack stands are under the outer end of each beam. My concern is when the suspension cycles. Does it look like their should be enough slack there for the expected droop? It's a stock suspension. No lift, no drop.

I don't have/ didn't try a '95-'97 hose. I have a '93 Ranger, and I'm trying to use the stock '93 hoses, with the '97 2-piston calipers.

I do not think you can use '93 hoses. You are not running '93 calipers, so don't expect a '93 hose to fit.

Yes, the '95-'97 trucks have 3 different hose "arrangements (I think its 3) 1.) and 2.) are 2wd w/ and w/o ABS, and 3.) is 4x4- which I'm told are all ABS. I'm confused at this point as to which is what, but some will have the T-block built into the left front hose, whereas others do not. The shape/bends/length are apparently also very different from the stock '93 hoses, as the calipers are in slightly different positions, relative to the frame, between the '93 and '97. The biggest issue is that the '93 split-pin caliper has the banjo bolt on the inner side of the caliper, whereas the '97 floating-style caliper has the banjo bolt on the inner top surface. As I described earlier, and you should be able to make out from the pics, the caliper end of the hose is rotated 90 degrees between the 2 caliper type (1 is "vertical" the other is "horizontal").

Forget whether the '95 - '97 hose is a 2WD, 4WD, ABS or not - those details are not relevant. You want a hose with the ends/T-block/etc. you need.

The hose/frame mounts should be the same on a '93 and '95. If not, this is the easier end to adapt.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, looking at the pics I posted above, with my modified right front hose, does that look like it will be ok? In the pis, the truck is essentially at normal ride height, as the jack stands are under the outer end of each beam. My concern is when the suspension cycles. Does it look like their should be enough slack there for the expected droop? It's a stock suspension. No lift, no drop.

Hard to tell, but it does appear the line has enough slack for suspension droop.

You will want to cycle the suspension and verify the line is long enough. Not tonight, but don't put it off too long.

Back