• Register Today It's free!

Need Code Breaker

ricco750

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, MO USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93XLT4X2 (3:27 LimSlip)
I just paid a rare visit to my local Ford dealer to solve the problem of pinging. Yes, I had done the SeaFoam thing and changed the MAF sensor. The problem was lessened, but not cured. To my amazement, Ford fixed the problem !!!
My problem is that I don't understand what the repair order says, for the most part.

Here it is: PULLED CODES PASS, MONITORED PIDS, PERFORMED RELATIVE
COMP, PULLED OCTANE PIN, PINGING MOSTLY GONE.

Pids ?? Octane Pin ?? Can anyone tell me what they did ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PULLED CODES PASSED: Probably means they performed the EEC-IV self-tests, and got all pass codes (see my notes on pulling EEC-IV codes in the EEC-IV forums for more info).
MONITORED PIDS: Can't remember what PIDS stands for, but basically they hooked up a good scanner, and monitored what the computer was seeing and doing (see Glacier's Primer on Code Readers and Scanners in the Under the Hood forum for more info).
PERFORMED RELATIVE COMP: I expect this is a basic compression test to see if all the cylinders are approximately equal in compression. This can be used to see carbon build up in the cylinders or locate leaks in head gaskets/valves/rings/etc.
PULLED OCTANE PIN: Your engine is equipped with an octane shorting bar (see wiring diagram). With the bar removed, timing is retarded about 3 degrees, I think.
PINGING MOSTLY GONE: They feel they've satisfactorily resolved the issue.

I'm interested on how much they charged for the hook up to the computer.

My friend did his at a dealership and was charged $90 to hook up and change a fuel cap. BTW, the local place, wanted $85 just to pull codes.

Aloha, Mark

PIDs are Parameter Identification Data. They show computed values for various processes within the engine:Throttle Position, Fuel Pressure, Vehicle Speed, etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs

It appears that the dealer did nothing, but yet it got better.

The same thing happened to me when I brought my Navajo in for it's only tuneup at 6 years. After I got it back it had stopped pinging under acceleration and my gas milage had increased +100 miles/tank. Over the next ten years it slowly wore off. I always suspected there was some fiddling that they did to it, perhaps some parameter that caused them to change something. I'm not curious enough however, to buy a scanner and go at it myself.

ma96782 said:
I'm interested on how much they charged for the hook up to the computer.

My friend did his at a dealership and was charged $90 to hook up and change a fuel cap. BTW, the local place, wanted $85 just to pull codes.

Aloha, Mark
My Ford dealer charged $75 for the job.

It sounds like they "fixed" it by pulling the octane plug, which is a stop gap meausre to use when you get a tank of bad gas. It is not a fix. It pulls back the timing 3 degrees or so.

Its like saying I fixed my pixing by using higher octane. Your not fixing it, your maxing the problem.

~Mark

Maniak said:
It sounds like they "fixed" it by pulling the octane plug, which is a stop gap meausre to use when you get a tank of bad gas. It is not a fix. It pulls back the timing 3 degrees or so.

Its like saying I fixed my pixing by using higher octane. Your not fixing it, your maxing the problem.

~Mark
So can I plug it back in and see if it pings again ?

Yes, you could. And, chances are, it will ping again.

Back