• Register Today It's free!

Need Code Help

Kevin Kuiper

Reaction score
City, State
Eustis, Fla
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
OK, from what I'm being Told, I may need a EGR Valve.. Here are the Codes that were Pulled..

OK, Here is what the Codes are...

1- PO340 CamShaft Possition Sensor

2- PO402 EGR Flow Excessive

So What Do Ya All think????

96 5.0 Exp

Thanks All!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I copied these off my factory manual CD for a '99. Hopes this helps cause it took me a while to do. I don't know what some of the abbriviations mean and I can't find them on my CD sorry.

p0340: The test fails when the PCM can no longer detect the from the CMP sensor.

Possible causes:
-CMP circuit open
-CMP circuit short to ground
-CMP circuit short to power
-SIG RTN open (VR sensor)
-CMP GND open (Hall effect sensor)
-CMP misinstalled (Hall effect sensor)
-Damaged CMP sensor shielding
-Damaged CMP sensor
-Damaged PCM

Diagnostic Aides:
Harness routing, harness alterations, improper shielding, or electrical interference from other improperly functioning systems may have intermittent impact on the CMP signal.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
p0402: The EGR system is monitored for undesired EGR flow during idle. The EGR monitor looks at the DPF EGR signal at idle and compares it to the stored signal measured during key ON and engine OFF. The test fails when the signal at idle is greater than at key ON engine OFF by a calibrated amount.

Possible causes:
-EGR valve stuck open.
-Plugged EGR vacuum regulator solenoid vent
-Plugged EGR tube
-Slow responding DPF EGR sensor
-Damaged DPF EGR sensor
-Improper vacuum hose connection
-Plugged vacuum hoses
-EGRVR circuit shorted to ground
-Damaged EGR vacuum regulator solenoid
-Damaged PCM

Diagnostic Aides:
A DPFEGR PID reading that is greater at idle than during key ON and engine OFF by 0.5 volt or a rough engine idle, may indicate a hard fault.

OK Then, I am Lost hahahaha...

So what are U saying, I should Replace the EGR and CamShaft Sensor??

I've got no experience with a cam position sensor, but I had the same P0402 code on my 5.0L. It turned out to be a sticky DPFE, and luckily, not too expensive to replace.

TheJMan said:
I've got no experience with a cam position sensor, but I had the same P0402 code on my 5.0L. It turned out to be a sticky DPFE, and luckily, not too expensive to replace.

OK, so the DPFE is ?? Is it the EGR Valve?? Or What?? Thanks!!!

Kevin

The DPFE stands for Differential Pressure Feedback EGR. From what I understand, it's the device that regulates how much exhaust gas is recirculated. I would have done it myself, but I took it to the dealer because I thought my extended warranty covered it (long story). Sorry I don't have a step by step on how to replace it, maybe somebody else here will.

If the DPFE is the aluminum body style, change it with a new updated plastic one. There is a good possibility that RFI from the DPFE is causing the cam sensor code. Change the DPFE first, get it from your local FLM store, clear the codes and see if the cam sensor code comes back.

OK, Again I'm sorry if I am STILL Asking.. Is a DPFE a EGR Valve or Something Else?? Sorry I am Learning about this and those Abv. are getting Me a Little Confused :-(

Thanks For your Understanding!!!

The DPFE is not the EGR. They are seperate items. HOWEVER, when the system throws and EGR code, 99% of the time the culprit is the DPFE. The DPFE "controls" the EGR. There are also 2 vacuum tubes that run from the DPFE. These can melt, or get constricted with carbon buildup and cause the code as well.

TheJMan said:

OK, Were did U get the DPFE Sensor?? I checked with A Local Dealer and WOW!!! $90.00 Bucks!! Do U know were I can get it Cheaper???

Thanks!

Autozone: DPFE/EGR VALVE PRESSURE SENSOR $54

Robb said:
Autozone: DPFE/EGR VALVE PRESSURE SENSOR $54

Go Figure, I called them and was Told DEALER ONLY!!

Got a Part # ?? Now Mine is a V-8...

Thanks ALLOT!!!

Back