Need compression specs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need compression specs

X-North

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal
I need the compression specs for a 4.0 ohv 1992 explorer. Dont tell me only it must be close to each other i already know that i need the specs of a new engine and at which compression you must rebuild it. ¸

Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't give you official numbers.. but on my old motor I had 160psi on all cylinders except #4 which had 130. Thats a 1992 ohv motor.

~Mark

Ok mine are better then
Cylinder
1=168psi
2=180psi
3=160psi
4=167psi
5=172psi
6=167psi

On a 130500 miles engine. What do you think about it ???
Btw when i took off the spark plugs the top of the porcelain was normal color and the electrode was good but just atfer the porcelain and the thread of the plug its black dry deposits. The truck is parked in the driveway since september 2007 and i started it just once a week for 15 minutes. Is it possible that the engine caused it because it wasnt hot enough to burn the fuel and carbon deposit???

My numbers above were taken when the motor was at about 235k miles.. or might have been at 285k miles.. I can't remember which time I checked it.

It could be that just idling it is what caused the extra stuff on the plugs. Without getting the rpms up you won't blow out the carbon buildup.

~Mark

ok thx...all guys have so much mile on it..but where i am cold and calcium rotten the cars ..all my rocker and floor are rotte na lot of place

Ok i got the specs Lowest cylinder must be within 75 psi of the highest reading and must be minimum of 100 psi and thats for all 4.0 ohv ,4.0 sohc and the 5.0 V8

Back