Need Diagnosis | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Diagnosis

general98

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
Was driving my 2002 Explorer today, accelerated to change lanes, and as I did so, the engine made a large popping sound and I knew something was really wrong. At first it sounded like I had a flat because of the thump, thump, thump noise. But, the dash lit up (Check Gauge, Service Engine Soon) and I pulled into a gas station parking lot after about 500 yards. Smoke was starting to come from the hood. I cut the engine off and checked under the hood - could not see visible trouble but smoke was coming out. Then, I looked under the car and literally all of the oil had drained out to the pavement. The oil had been changed about 1,500 miles ago so I doubt it was related to the oil change.

I had it towed to my service station and they will probably get to it Monday. Any thoughts on what this could be? Not quite what I had in mind for Christmas....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was driving my 2002 Explorer today, accelerated to change lanes, and as I did so, the engine made a large popping sound and I knew something was really wrong. At first it sounded like I had a flat because of the thump, thump, thump noise. But, the dash lit up (Check Gauge, Service Engine Soon) and I pulled into a gas station parking lot after about 500 yards. Smoke was starting to come from the hood. I cut the engine off and checked under the hood - could not see visible trouble but smoke was coming out. Then, I looked under the car and literally all of the oil had drained out to the pavement. The oil had been changed about 1,500 miles ago so I doubt it was related to the oil change.

I had it towed to my service station and they will probably get to it Monday. Any thoughts on what this could be? Not quite what I had in mind for Christmas....

Oil pan drain plug maybe left loose, worked it's way out, oil ran out of engine, moving parts quickly got very hot, bearings began to knock with no oil pressure, did you try & see if the engine would turn over? DON'T START IT!

All of the above conjecture, but without oil in eng,......well..............LOL....
(Lots of Luck). imp

check to make sure all ur spark plugs are still there. And have it towed to a shop.

The last service I had done was replacing the spark plugs - could it be related to this?

I drove it about 500 yards after the problem started, had it towed to a service station, and have not tried to start it up since.

I doubt if it just an issue with a spark plug. The oil on the ground is the disturbing thing. You never said which engine you have v6 or v8? The v8's do have issues with spark plugs poppong out, but they usually do not involve oil pouring out onto the ground. Good luck.

It is a V6 and I just heard from the shop. There is a hole in the engine block and the engine needs to be replaced. Quote of $5,800 for a Jasper engine with 100,000 mile / 3 year warranty. Probably not worth it for a 2002 Explorer with 102,000 miles on it. Ugh.

I would highly recommend never putting a jasper engine into anything. WE used to use tham at the shop i worked for until they screwed the shop and my grandmother over a warranty claim. Never again. Find a low mileage used engine, have the shop install new timing chain guides and tensioners berfore installation and you should be set for many miles of driving bliss.

Tough decision.

How's the transmission? If you invest that much money, are you also headed for a transmission soon? Or things like pinion gears, wheel bearings, etc?

Can you buy a decent, reliable 4x4 for the same price? Or will you be buying something with the same potential to blow up? Will you have to spend twice that amount, $10-11K to get something that will last for a few years?

Tough decision.

Good luck.

My personal opinion I would buy another vehicle.

I always said I would drive this car until it died - unfortunately, I think it has died.

Back